Need some Dj advice please!

neodeadhead

• Members

Ok so i have been making electronic music for awhile with a synth, drum machine, and recorder. But now im venturing into the sampling world. what i would like to know is:

I have Traktor, should i use this and a Dj controller or Should i buy a Gemini PS-676 with 2 American Dj cd players. Im new to this and i have no clue what is the best equipment to use to get started.

Thanks to everyone that will help me.

PS: I like ambient, down-tempo, psy-trance and "real" techno

• Members

Industry standard in clubs in North America seems to be Pioneer CDJs (1000s now the 2000s) and Pioneer DJM 800. That's pricey gear, though, but Pioneer does make a range of models. Like the CDJ-200s which are more affordable to get started.

If you want to use Traktor there is also Traktor Scratch which allows you to control and beatmatch tracks on your laptop with CD decks or Turntables. But you would still need CD decks and mixer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Industry standard in clubs in North America seems to be Pioneer CDJs (1000s now the 2000s) and Pioneer DJM 800. That's pricey gear, though, but Pioneer does make a range of models. Like the CDJ-200s which are more affordable to get started.

If you want to use Traktor there is also Traktor Scratch which allows you to control and beatmatch tracks on your laptop with CD decks or Turntables. But you would still need CD decks and mixer.

Personally, I wouldn't waste your money on anything lower than a CDJ800. It shares the same interface as the 1000's and 2000's, pretty much, and can be found for under $500 used.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • Members

The new all in one controllers are really good at pretty much doing everything. The decks are a personal choice with a good bit of quality thrown in as you go up in price. One thing to look at is what version of the software you get. Some come with a LE version and some come with the full blown version. If you have tractor pro you are pretty much set and can just get a stand alone controller sans software. Some are a lot easier than others and it all comes down to tweaking the controller to match the software.

Archived