Recording Software

dash323

• Members

Hello everyone, I'd like to ask for some help here to get a recording software that I can use to record my mixes. Since I'm just getting started I want to be able to listen to them and see what I did wrong and such. I tried audacity but it keeps giving me low quality recordings :S I'm using my laptop's line-in plug, so if this has to do with why they're so bad I'd like it if someones could confirm my suspicions and advice me to see if I'm gonna have to buy a sound card for it. Appreciate it.

• Members

We need a little more data here...do you want to record mixes from something other than your laptop into a laptop? If so, then Elevation Group's advice to get a new soundcard is a good one, as the consumer audio inputs on the average laptop aren't all that great. Audacity should give good results, so check whether its sampling rate is sufficiently high (you want to record at 44.1kHz or higher) and that the bit resolution is 16 or 24 bits.

Sometimes programs default to lower fidelity because the assumption is that you'll be using it for purposes other than high-fidelity recording, and lower fidelity files use up less memory.

Does this help? If not, post again and I'll stop by.

• Members

We need a little more data here...do you want to record mixes from something other than your laptop into a laptop? If so, then Elevation Group's advice to get a new soundcard is a good one, as the consumer audio inputs on the average laptop aren't all that great. Audacity should give good results, so check whether its sampling rate is sufficiently high (you want to record at 44.1kHz or higher) and that the bit resolution is 16 or 24 bits.

Sometimes programs default to lower fidelity because the assumption is that you'll be using it for purposes other than high-fidelity recording, and lower fidelity files use up less memory.

Does this help? If not, post again and I'll stop by.

Sorry, for not giving enough information. For some reason I just assumed it would be obvious that i wanted to record from my mixer.(stupid me >.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Audacity will work, but I would reccomend Adobe Audition 3.0 over Audacity and here is why. You get way more options and features and a much better workspace IMO. Adobe Audition is actually from a program called Cool Edit Pro that Adobe bought from the author. Here is a screen shot of Audacity...

audacityq.jpg

As you can see there isn't alot to it, now look at Adobe Audition - I took 3 screen shots to show off some of the stuff in it...there is alot more.

This is Edit view -

adobeaudition30edit.jpg

Multitrack view (Great for adding multiple tracks and moving them around to sync)

adobeaudition30multitra.jpg

And Mixer view (Here I have one of the VST effects open on Track 2 just to show how it works)

adobeaudition30mixer.jpg

Audition also supports dual monitors which is great to open up more work area, MIDI controllers using a Mackie interface, and can separate audio from video tracks in .avi files. It does alot more stuff too and works with loads of file types. It runs $349 on thier site, kinda spendy like most Adobe stuff, but it's a great program.

It's based on Cool Edit Pro v2.0 that you might find on the web for free. It's not supported anymore, but you can get some of the same features from it if you are on a tight budget.

• Members

Oh and using the RCA jacks with adapters is probably where you are going wrong. You need a USB Interface of some kind or a USB Mixer to get a clear signal. Using an AUX in is just going to give you alot of noise. There are several options for these, I went with a Behringer USB mixer because for the price of a cheap stereo interface ($238.99 at Musician's Friend, Guitar Center, Zzounds - take your pick) I ended up with a 12 channel mixer with effects to boot. There are even some smaller and cheaper models if you browse thier sites. The software that came with mine left something to be desired though :p

behringerxenyxx1222usbm.jpg

• Members

If you don't want another mixer however and just want the interface here are a couple I saw at Musician's Friend that are probably available at all the major outlets.

focusritesaffire6usbint.jpg

maudiofasttrackpro.jpg

The mic inputs are actually dual inputs...they also accept 1/4" phone plugs in the center like instrument cables for guitar or bass.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi, thanks a lot Lucifer66 for the extremely detailed advise! I dont really wanna get a new mixer since I just recently bought my gear a month and a half ago and am practically new to DJing and all I want is a way to listen to what I do and see what and when I need to pay attention to my mistakes. I'll think about getting Adobe Audition though, looks like a very promising application! I looked into those usb interfaces, and while trying to find a good deal for one I found this: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alesis-LineLink-Dual-14-inch-to-USB-Cable-Interface?sku=580882

585340.jpg

I noticed my mixer has an output jack with 1/4 which labels them as BALANCED, so I'm guessing this might work. Do you think this would help with the distortion? Or should I really go with the usb interface and/or new mixer?:confused:

Again thanks a lot for your help! :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi, thanks a lot Lucifer66 for the extremely detailed advise! I dont really wanna get a new mixer since I just recently bought my gear a month and a half ago and am practically new to DJing and all I want is a way to listen to what I do and see what and when I need to pay attention to my mistakes. I'll think about getting Adobe Audition though, looks like a very promising application! I looked into those usb interfaces, and while trying to find a good deal for one I found this:
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alesis-LineLink-Dual-14-inch-to-USB-Cable-Interface?sku=580882

585340.jpg

I noticed my mixer has an output jack with 1/4 which labels them as BALANCED, so I'm guessing this might work. Do you think this would help with the distortion? Or should I really go with the usb interface and/or new mixer?
:confused:

Again thanks a lot for your help!
:D

The LineLink stuff is actually pretty cool. Alesis has several different versions, for guitar, mics, mixer outs, etc. They're basic, of course, but if you want to get sound into your computer via USB, I can't think of anything simpler or less expensive.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I have just download one Iphone software and installed it in my iPhone but I think little problem to run it. so I would recommend Adobe Audition 3.0. I think it is the best. You get more options and IMO has a better workspace. Adobe Audition is actually a program called Cool Edit Pro that Adobe purchased from the author.

Archived