Powered Speaker 101

Zhorellski

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Go with the brand names. JBL, Peavey, Mackie, etc. Reguardless of the money, you'll end up going to one of these makes anyway. Go too cheap, and you'll be dissatisfied. The JBL series, are nice and light and sound great! IMO :cop:

• Members

A full-range cabinet (either active or passive) with a 10" or 12" woofer is very likely going to be completely inadequate for your needs unless you're also going to use subwoofers. If you're going with just a single set of full-range cabinets, look for something with a 15" subwoofer. While there are some very efficient cabinets with decent low-end response from a 10" or 12" woofer, they will cost much more than something fairly decent on the lower end of the spectrun with a 15" woofer.

• Members

I looking to buy a 10" or 12" powered speaker for all purpose use Karaoke,DJ, Guitar etc... multi-channel is a plus but not really needed..

I know there are thousands of brand to choose from, but what's a good one for beginners like me
:)

My business partner (and friend ;) ) has a pair of Mackie SRM350's for his gigs (generally him on a Roland RD-700sx and a vocal mic and sometimes his mate on guitar) and they are pretty good. He's had them for years and hasn't broken them..

There are no, er... multi channel :confused: . Just powered monitors. You would probably want to buy a little desk or something..

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi, I am not a DJ in any sense of the word. As mentioned, 15's or the addition of a sub will probably be needed if you want program music very loud.

There are multi-channel powered speakers, with a primitive mixer and treble/bass. I use a cheap (USD$100) Gemsound 125-watt 12" + horn for a stage monitor in a band. It has two XLR mic inputs, a line in, and a line out. I submix keys and line level guitar to the mains, and it is perfectly adequate for me to hear myself, at my feet.

To be front of house speakers, as others said, name brands are better. This Gemsound powered speaker is cheap crap of the first degree, but it works well for what I want, and has lasted two years so far with no problems.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Buy once, cry once! Get the best speakers you can as they are "where the tire meets the road. Go to a guitar center and listen to some speakers at the level you intend to use them. Don't let the salesperson push you to one particular brand as they usually have reasons for wanting to sell you one over another. Most 2 way boxes with a 12 inch woofer can get loud but don't have nearly enough oomph to DJ with. DJ'ing today is all about thump! You'll need subs eventually. Save your money till you can get something decent.

Archived