Want to start to DJ, where to start?

imnotded

• Members

So I play in a band, we gig 2-3 times a month. Off nights I have been thinking about DJing for some extra cash. The problem is I dont really know where to start as far as gear goes (or how to use DJ gear lol). I have the speakers and amps since I own the PA that the band uses. I also already have lights.

So what is easier to use, CD players or iPods? What direction would you guys recommend going? And what resources/websites are out there that you guys use?

• Members

Would probably be mostly bar gigs. I was just curious as to if people use CDJ's now, or more people use vinyl, or even iPods. No places locally that sell vinyl so digital would be preferred. As for advertising, I was just going to get some business cards made up and go around town to the places that usually have DJ's (when I say DJ's I live in a rural area so they arent real DJ's, just people who play music). Although I would want to be decent at it and not just throw in CD's. Hope this is what you were asking about.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

If you're serious about DJing I advise you to get serato, a laptop (if you don't have one aleady, 2 x 1210 turntables and a decent mixer. If you're gonna buy {censored}, buy from an online store, I saved {censored} loads that way

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

If you're serious about DJing I advise you to get serato, a laptop (if you don't have one aleady, 2 x 1210 turntables and a decent mixer. If you're gonna buy {censored}, buy from an online store, I saved {censored} loads that way

This sounds about right. Only thing I would add is don't use mp3's. Use wavs. It will sound better and your audience will appreciate it even if they're not concious of it. If you must use mp3's make sure they're at the highest level of quality, 320 kbps. Also having real turntables is a major plus because sooner or later you'll end up wanting some real vinyl. It's inevitable. :cool:

• Members

One last thing, don't just settle for technic 12's unless that's what you really want. There are other quality tables out there made by Vestax and Numark worth considering. Both with extreme pitch range capabilities, which may or may not matter in a mixing situation but it's always good to have.

Personally I think Technics are pretty overpriced considering the lack of features.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm in the same boat as imnotded and this forum needs a sticky bad, I mean really bad, I can't imagine how many times the same question gets asked over and over. I have a PA and wanna DJ so what do I need.

I have 25k worth of PA and Led lighting rig.

I have a laptop along with some free DJ software

Mobil recording soundcard with midi in/out if needed.

I wanna go with laptop style of deejaying so what do I need?

I doubt I can start off with Serato way way out of my budget.

• Members

I'm in the same boat as imnotded and this forum needs a sticky bad, I mean really bad, I can't imagine how many times the same question gets asked over and over. I have a PA and wanna DJ so what do I need.

I wanna go with laptop style of deejaying so what do I need?

I doubt I can start off with Serato way way out of my budget.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Numark-MixTrack-DJ-Controller?sku=486141

I was looking up DJ controllers and stumbled upon this. I'm just starting out but if you want cheap, plug in and go it seems legit :idk:

• Members

Just starting in that vein myself and I went with a pair of Tech 12 Mk5's, a DJM-700, and a Road Ready case. I've got a laptop but haven't used it exclusively yet but prefer Traktor over Serato. The Native Instruments setup just clicks with me better and I already have several of their products for production.

People still love to see vinyl and IMHO it shows a level of commitment and support for the industry. I know of too many DJ's stealing MP3's but true appreciation of artists is shown in a tangible purchase. ;-)

• Members

Please man.. dont get yourself confused with all these equipments or allowing yourself the mentality that the gadgets is your first step to DJing. First, you need to LEARN how to DJ. Acquaint yourself with someone, an accomplished DJ perhaps willing to teach you, thats how I started, I didnt have ONE BIT of equipment for almost a year, the club provided me with old school Denon CD-J which was extremely difficult to use as compared to the ones out now, but it was all about learning the craft first. Not about the equipment. Its like having a Fender Stratocaster without knowing how to strike a chord. Its just a shame.

If you know no one to learn from, teach yourself by downloading a VIRTUAL MIXER and look for tutorials on YouTube like

from DJ Ravine. That would be the easiest way to make your first step.

• Members

The "Mooch off of someone else" approach might work if you have the charisma but getting your own equipment will give you the freedom and hands on to learn at your own pace.

I'm sure as you already know, any job or career requires a certain level of investment. It's not about the gear, but you DO need the gear to effectively learn and start DJing.

BTW, I also added the book, "How to DJ Right" by Frank Broughton and Bill Brewster to my library. Excellent book for DJ producers.

• Members

The "Mooch off of someone else" approach might work if you have the charisma but getting your own equipment will give you the freedom and hands on to learn at your own pace.

I'm sure as you already know, any job or career requires a certain level of investment. It's not about the gear, but you DO need the gear to effectively learn and start DJing.

I understand how obtaining equipments are investments in the long run, but all Im saying is that he shouldnt allow himself the mentality to start off his career by purchase. I just think that theres so much more to DJing than equipments, or to music altogether. Like John Mayer using his very first guitar after a decade in the business and selling millions of records, he still opts to rock out in his faded, chipped out Strat. Point is he didnt have the need to buy too much stuff at first. Youre right, it is an investment for the long run, but to start out like that I just dont feel right about it. Like I said, for now get a virtual mixer, learn the basics, THEN progress into the actual CD-J's as you learn.

• Members

I understand how obtaining equipments are investments in the long run, but all Im saying is that he shouldnt allow himself the mentality to start off his career by purchase. I just think that theres so much more to DJing than equipments, or to music altogether. Like John Mayer using his very first guitar after a decade in the business and selling millions of records, he still opts to rock out in his faded, chipped out Strat. Point is he didnt have the need to buy too much stuff at first. Youre right, it is an investment for the long run, but to start out like that I just dont feel right about it. Like I said, for now get a virtual mixer, learn the basics, THEN progress into the actual CD-J's as you learn.

I just disagree with your approach but agree that it's not about the gear. It's about being able to read your audience, creatively mix, and effectively choose tracks that entertain. All that can be done with a laptop and some free software but that doesn't show any tangible commitment to the craft, which goes a long way to some entertainment professionals. If your not doing so hot with that software, one is likely to just delete it and give up. When you have a tangible investment staring at you, one is more likely to keep at it with the only thing usually stopping someone is a financial hardship.

i just think that saving up for gear and appreciating it builds better musicians and DJ's. Problem is, nobody wants to save money anymore and just wants something NOW. Which IMHO is part of the problem in the industry.

Archived