What is needed to switch to laptop DJ-ing?

Dra

• Members

I currently use MPS discs on an MD810 player. The OLD laptop that I used for controlling my Driverack 260 died and I need another laptop. I would like to go ahead and streamline my system and go 100% laptop.

This is what I know.

I have to use a 32-bit system for the Driverack.

I need DJ software. (I have downloaded a few demos and thought... how do I listen to the non-playing side?)

I HAVE to be able to cue and monitor the waiting song or to verify that the song cued is actually the song that I want.

What, from a hardware point (or software), do I need to make the transition.

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Wow...that requires a pretty long answer...

Assuming you're using Windows, Windows Vista, XP, and 7 are available in 32-bit versions.

Choosing DJ software is like choosing any musical instrument: A lot of it is subjective. Serato, Tracktor, Torq, Mixmeister...the list goes on. There's a Pro Review or Torq here on HC where you can at least check out that program in some serious depth.

As to monitoring, basically you need an audio interface for your computer that allows for cuing as well as sending outs to the house. The Xponent hardware for Torq handles all this by itself.

Hopefully this will get you started....

• Members

you need a audio-interface which has double set of stereo-output.

one set output goes to your amp, the other sets you use to monitor tru headphones.

the audio-interface can be a pci-audiocard, but in your case: a laptop, you need an external audio-interface. these can be firewire or usb.

for example this one (usb):

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrackPro.html

and of course a dj-software.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Ableton Live my friend. It's an electronic musicians best friend. I've done some really good mashups just using that program. It works really well with external devices. I can pretty much do a whole set off my trigger finger.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

You will need a VIRTUAL STUDIO, to make your remixes, etc. (this is the one you use at home) I recommend Zulu or better yet use Virtual DJ Studio and a DJ DECK (this is the one you use at the club or at your set) Virtual DJ deck. I would say Serato, Tracktor or Torq, but dude these programs are FAR too expensive as compared to my recommendations (google it!). Besides, the ones I mentioned does practically the same thing anyway, and Ive been personally using Virtual DJ since god knows, and dude, trust me, its good.

Next you will want to have a laptop that runs on at least 2GB RAM. I use 4GB because you dont want your laptop to be loading slow when youre infront of a hundred drunk party goers and the music gets killed by a slow mem laptop.

And finally, get yourself an amplifier, subs and speakers.

These are all pretty basic stuff, but its a good starting point for your laptop DJ career.

Archived