Advice for a Beginners DJ, Please Help

DJ A113

• Members

Hi, I'm planning to start into the DJing hobby with (aside) making trance/house music and mixing it up. But back on point I don't have a really large budget (like I can't do more than 1000$ max) and I'm trying to find the right set to start out with. I know there are really cheap systems that stop within months of use and there are the expensive ones like Denons and Pioneers that are too far out of my reach at the moment. So I'm requesting advice for what set I should get. I'm currently looking at the American Audio CDI 300 setup for now, but I'm not 100%.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/American-Audio-CDI300MP3System-DJ-CD-Package-103865507-i1399295.gc

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

A pair of Denon DN-S700 table top CD players and a Denon DN-X120 mixer should put you at less than a grand. If you can spend a little more (about 1100), you can upgrade the CD decks to DN-S1200s which can play mp3 files off USB drives and laptops.

Pioneer products are good too but in my experience, their entry level decks don't hold up to long term exposure to dusty/smokey environments. I'm talking about CDJ100s, CDJ200s and CDJ400s.

V.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

My opinion on this is similar to guitars, and that's don't go for the bottom end. You will likely get frustrated with your gear and will end up upgrading anyways. I bought some 1200s about 10 years ago and it's still works as well as it did when I first got it. My Vestax mixer also works perfectly and it's almost 5 years old.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

For Hardware I would go with Pioneer CD-J 2000, if its a little out of your price range, settle for 2nd hand stuff.. there are still decent 2nd hand Pioneer CD-J 400's out there (Im currently using this, its been 4 years and I have no complaints or even have the slightest need to upgrade yet, basically its awesome). For your software

Studio: Virtual DJ Studio / Virtual DJ Studio 5.3

Sequencer: Zynewave Podium 2.34

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

With all the digital djing nowadays it makes no sense to use cdj's. Buy Serato. I don't recommend technics for a variety of reasons but if you're going to perform in clubs you'll likely get stuck on them so I'd suggest starting off with those. Any entry level Vestax mixer will do like an 05 pro. I personally use the Rane 56. The Rane 57 is designed for use with Serato. Do some research.

In the long run you're going to spend more than $1,000 anyway so if you're not in a rush you might as well go outside your budget. If you're really interested you'll find a way.

• Members

get yourself a set of used 1200's, (buy one at a time if you have to, and to all those who only buy MP3''s now? do you think they stopped making white label vinyl? exactly) , get a rane 56 or 57i (you'll have to get one eventually, or maybe a used TTM54 and then get serato) find 2 records that have the same BPM and mess around with that, learn how to count measures (1,2,3,4) record what your practice sessions and study them and don't settle buying crappy songs , be picky.

• Members

I like this subject because I was lost myself after I started Djing as a hobby last year.

To start with. I hope you research all essential hardware and software combinations in order to know what is right for you.

As I was on a budget of "cheap as hell" I decided to start by using a trial version of VirtualDJ to see if I enjoy it or not. Within a month I decided that I had outgrown it. Reading up on all the forums and blogs I found that a completely digital solution is perfect for what I need. Even if I travel or DJ outside of my house the setup is tiny. The cost is also half of what a Digital Vinyl setup will be.

Anyways, I am currently using the Vestax VCI-100 (custom modded to the DJ Techtools special edition) with Traktor Scratch Pro as my Software and an Audio 4 DJ as my soundcard. I went with Traktor because I can use a variety of midi controllers and soundcards, instead of just a limited and expensive selection for Serato.

This setup is perfect for me, but may not be for others, especially those who believe that Vinyl is the only way to DJ. I personally think DJing Vinyl is like playing 8track in your track, but thats just me.

Archived