Can you play pads on drum machines manually without starting a sequence?

Peekaboo Fuzzy

• Members

I know, kind of a strange question, but I thought that I would post in the dj forum as all of you dj and dance guys really know drum machines. I

I am looking to possibly use a drum machine with pads like a Roland or Zoom to play bass drum kicks, but also orchestra type percussion (cymbals, bells, marching snares and timpani) withouth starting a "sequence" just playing sounds manually. I like the idea of drum machine though, because of all the built in sounds. Can you play the machine without having it be triggered to play a sequence or loop and do some of these have orchestral percussion presets? Thanks.

• Members

I know, kind of a strange question, but I thought that I would post in the dj forum as all of you dj and dance guys really know drum machines. I

I am looking to possibly use a drum machine with pads like a Roland or Zoom to play bass drum kicks, but also orchestra type percussion (cymbals, bells, marching snares and timpani) withouth starting a "sequence" just playing sounds manually. I like the idea of drum machine though, because of all the built in sounds. Can you play the machine without having it be triggered to play a sequence or loop and do some of these have orchestral percussion presets? Thanks.

Depending on the drum machine, the answer to all those are "Yes"

Most drum machines will allow you to play the pads without starting a pattern

Some drum machines have good orchestral sounds in the presets

Your best bet is to get a sampler, either a sampling drum machine, sampling keyboard, or a rackmount sampler that can be triggered, and put in the sounds that you want to use

Archived