I want to start DJing

NeonMarmot

• Members

Hello everyone, I am interested in DJing.

How can I get started?

I like music like this :

[YOUTUBE]RxL9Hod_qCY[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]etWi1bOotd0[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]DJE4PTfFzP0[/YOUTUBE]

I am just a kid, so I would like to keep the budget as low as possible,

I don't know what other information you need, so just let me know if I need to supply more background as to what I want to do with my DJing etc..

• Members

As low budget as possible, I'd suggest some software DJ programs--Traktor is probably the best standalone one (not requiring turntables)...cheaper is Torq, and even cheaper is Virtual DJ---Torq might be the best value. You can control them from your computer, and later on, if you like it and have money, add some physical controllers.

Given that it's 2009, it's not really worth getting turntables (CD or vinyl) unless you can afford the really good stuff.

The downside to all the software stuff is that without external controllers or decks, it's hard to learn beatmatching

The upside is that most software will beatmatch for you, to an extent.

• Members

As low budget as possible, I'd suggest some software DJ programs--Traktor is probably the best standalone one (not requiring turntables)...cheaper is Torq, and even cheaper is Virtual DJ---Torq might be the best value. You can control them from your computer, and later on, if you like it and have money, add some physical controllers.

Given that it's 2009, it's not really worth getting turntables (CD or vinyl) unless you can afford the really good stuff.

The downside to all the software stuff is that without external controllers or decks, it's hard to learn beatmatching

The upside is that most software will beatmatch for you, to an extent.

Alright thanks, I tried the demo of virtual dj just to get a feel for it, and I'll try out the other 2 later.

Is there information someplace about DJing that can teach me a bit about the gear, terms,tips... etc. ?

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

OK, if you want to learn to DJ, first, do you mean house/trance/electro/techno/dnb/whatever or do you mean hip hop?

Beatmatching is important for both but 100% crucial for the former group. If you want to DJ, I'm assuming you've seen DJs play or heard DJ mixes. Notice how the songs blend seamlessly, without the beat seeming to change, or if you notice it change, how it's very gradual? That's a product of beatmatching, where you match the tempo of the incoming song to that of the currently playing song, and line the beats up, so the BOOM of the drum of track 1 overlaps perfectly with the BOOM of the drum of track 2. Otherwise, you get what's called a trainwreck and it sounds terrible. When done well, you can keep a set going as long as you want, and there will be no audible points where the beat is broken up (haha even in breakbeats, you need to beatmatch, before anyone gets smart!)

• Members

Learn the basics first and understand the evolution of the craft.

Get 2 belt driven turntables and a two channel mixer and get started if you can't afford the industry standards.

If you can't beatmatch on decks with vinyl, hang it up and pursue another craft.

• Members

If you ever expect to play out in ANY club, your going to still need vinyl. If you just want to be a mobile DJ, digital media may be all you need.

Vinyl is also prominent in Europe where the strongest following of electronic music is. So if you want to go international, vinyl is still the way to go.

I buy vinyl from New York in America.

• Members

If you ever expect to play out in ANY club, your going to still need vinyl. If you just want to be a mobile DJ, digital media may be all you need.

Vinyl is also prominent in Europe where the strongest following of electronic music is. So if you want to go international, vinyl is still the way to go.

I buy vinyl from New York in America.

?

Every club I've played at used Pioneer CDJ 100/200/500/800/1000s or Denons.

To the OP, it depends on what you want to start mixing. I suggest keep getting the idea of workflow with software (I prefer Traktor.) If you want to try something different, check out Ableton Live which lets you do some really incredible stuff that someone using CDJs could never achieve. I prefer DJing with CDs though, I way prefer the feel. Never played on vinyl.

• Members

?

To the OP, it depends on what you want to start mixing. I suggest keep getting the idea of workflow with software (I prefer Traktor.) If you want to try something different, check out Ableton Live which lets you do some really incredible stuff that someone using CDJs could never achieve. I prefer DJing with CDs though, I way prefer the feel. Never played on vinyl.

Yup. It's almost 2010, almost no club anywhere still uses turntables exclusively. It they do, and you have something like Traktor, you can use it with the decks. If you don't want to beatmatch, it'll even auto-beatmatch (not that I don't recommend learning how to beatmatch, though)

• Members

?

have you been anywhere else but Cape Town?

That's my point.

• Members

If you don't want to beatmatch, it'll even auto-beatmatch (not that I don't recommend learning how to beatmatch, though)

And this is why there are so many crap DJ's around. Learn the basics and understand the roots. Start basic and then advance. Don't be a slave to the technology.

• Members

Hey there, I'm on the same boat as you. I'm a college student and have always wanted to DJ so I started googling and here are the best things I've found:

http://www.ehow.com/video_4957198_get-started-being-dj.html

http://bpmdj.yellowcouch.org/djskills.html

http://howtodj.djdownload.com/ Make sure you set it to be the first episode since it normally loads to the last

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?doc_id=102014

• Members

I'm doing a Pro Review of Torq and xponent right here on Harmony Central...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2473679

Now, here's the thing: I've only DJed with Ableton Live, and only with loop-based music I've created. So, I'm a newbie when it comes to digital DJing and this Pro Review is as much about me learning how to DJ with MP3s and computers as it is about the products.

I would welcome DJs coming in and offering their more experienced comments. There's a high probability I'll say something stupid and I'd feel a lot better if someone was looking over my shoulder!

• Members

I started in 1996. I agree with MuzikB. I just don't hear many "digital DJs" doing anything that impresses me or advances the art. That's not an absolute truth, there are exceptions to the rule, but it's true as a general statement. Its NOT the fact that they are using digital files and programs that's the problem, it's that they usually don't have a strong foundation of skills or knowledge. Most of the DJs who impress me using a digital format came up learning the hard way. There's an advantage to learning how to mix with pitch adjustments, by ear, in real time, because you know how the whole process works and why it works. These dudes who are just pressing the "synch" button don't get a lot of subtle parts of mixing cause they don't know their foundation well. It usually ends up that they just can't hang. The DJs who have that strong foundation already tend to push the digital format way further. It's like how Mr. Miagi made Danielsan do all the really basic foundational stuff and Danielsan hated it but it made him better in the end.

Also, doing something because "that's the way everyone is going now" is flawed. Usually its the unique DJs that are getting props.

But hey, a lot of it depends on your goals. It's a little like a singer using tune correction or even lip sycing. If all you care about is sounding like you're good then its just a matter of learning as little as you can to get the audience to believe you are good. If you're trying to approach it more as an artform then I think you have to be able to rock on any format, with or without the crutches.

Personally, as all the technology makes mixing so easy a retarded monkey could do it, I just put all that much more value on scratching. Scratching is way more fulfilling from an artistic standpoint.

• Members

a dj has an audience, without it youre not a dj.

where to find an audience?

is there an audience for the music you like?

or will you play the music the audience like?

so in what clubs do you want to play.

how to contact them?

are you sure they let you in, everybody seems to be a dj nowadays.

how to differ from thousands other dj's?

are you going to be a mobile dj, you needs speakers, transport.

how are you going to promote yourself?

is a website only enough?

how to set your price?

you know how accountacy works?

if you know a decent answer to these questions, you can think about buying gear.

• Members

a dj has an audience, without it youre not a dj.

where to find an audience?

is there an audience for the music you like?

or will you play the music the audience like?

so in what clubs do you want to play.

how to contact them?

are you sure they let you in, everybody seems to be a dj nowadays.

how to differ from thousands other dj's?

are you going to be a mobile dj, you needs speakers, transport.

how are you going to promote yourself?

is a website only enough?

how to set your price?

you know how accountacy works?

if you know a decent answer to these questions, you can think about buying gear.

Honestly, if you're just starting out, just play house parties or school parties (if you're in university or whatever). If the crowd is into it, it's just as fun

• Members

You can start off cheap even with real turntables that play vinyl. There's plenty of time to get good gear later. Look into Numark. They make some relatively inexpensive gear that could get you going. Also BUY USED. Repeat buy used. Ebay or Craigslist. Keep your eyes peeled. My first setup was very low quality. But it got the fire going in me and that's all that matters. I got 2 turntables and a mixer off an acquaintance for 100 bucks and for sound I borrowed a gorilla amplifier.

Makes me laugh thinking about it, but like I said.. Whatever it takes! :)

• Members

You can start off cheap even with real turntables that play vinyl. There's plenty of time to get good gear later. Look into Numark. They make some relatively inexpensive gear that could get you going. Also BUY USED. Repeat buy used. Ebay or Craigslist. Keep your eyes peeled. My first setup was very low quality. But it got the fire going in me and that's all that matters. I got 2 turntables and a mixer off an acquaintance for 100 bucks and for sound I borrowed a gorilla amplifier.

Makes me laugh thinking about it, but like I said.. Whatever it takes!
:)

This is what I did, used Technics.......but the real problem is that 12" singles are {censored}ING EXPENSIVE. I mean if he's in the US, it's hard to get them for under $8 a pop, that's if you live near a record store, add more for ordering online. In the UK, record stores are more common, but it's still £4-6 PER SINGLE. That's a lot of money, considering a song on Beatport is $2 new, and God knows there's all of the internet to get stuff for free from--whether we approve of it or not.

I love spinning vinyl on Technics, nothing feels like it. But as a student and a barely professional DJ, buying vinyl is dead to me.

• Members

I know what you mean but I stopped buying brand new singles and albums ages ago. They don't really fit what I do musically with the turntable anymore anyway. I've been hitting dollar bins religously for years now. The most I ever spend on a full length album is 7 bucks and that's rare. Generally I'm more in the 1 to 3 something range. Lots of gems out there. I :love: digging!

• Members

This is what I did, used Technics.......but the real problem is that 12" singles are {censored}ING EXPENSIVE. I mean if he's in the US, it's hard to get them for under $8 a pop, that's if you live near a record store, add more for ordering online. In the UK, record stores are more common, but it's still £4-6 PER SINGLE. That's a lot of money, considering a song on Beatport is $2 new, and God knows there's all of the internet to get stuff for free from--whether we approve of it or not.

I love spinning vinyl on Technics, nothing feels like it. But as a student and a barely professional DJ, buying vinyl is dead to me.

Haha, yeah but who buys new vinyl? Not only that, but by the time you buy the album version, radio version, instrumental, acapella, and remix that comes on most 12"s you've already spent over $8 (assuming Beatport or the other online stores even have all the extras you get on a 12").

All that extra stuff on 12"s (extended versions, bonus beats, instrumentals, etc.) is valuable if you actually do more than just play songs.

One of the things that actually makes DJs unique is their catalogue, that's built up over a looong period of time. You have to craft a library. Downloading 1000 mp3s isn't going to get you there. Not only that, but you'll have the same {censored} every other wack DJ has. If you go back more than 5 years you'll figure out that there's a large body of music that never made it to mp3. Without the 12"s you're at a severe disadvantage as far as track selection.

Archived