A little help to get me going.

mikey4402

• Members

Im looking to get into moble dj. I figure nows a good time to get into the game and use the rest of the year as 'practice' while i market myself for next years weading season. Playing small gathering then holiday parties finaly working up to weddings.

I need a little help on my rig. I want a CDJ that also has a audio in for Ipods and the like athough i plan on using CD as a main source of my music. I would also like the ability to 'scratch'.

Im estamating around $2000 for CDJS and speakers and recomendations? Should i spend more of my capital on mixers or the speakers.

Pretty much... im looking to buy a set up that will last me for a while and i can add onto as i go. Things such as lighting, projection units,subs etc. im hoping to add to by the end of the year.

If anyone knows of a good setup that would take me under $2000 i would be estatic. Because i still figure another grand for promotion materals, cell phones, bussiness cards etc.

ps i dont think it matters much but im also a musican and it would be nice to have speakers that could be used for my 'other' gigs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Coming from another 'musician', get nice speakers and know how to use them. I've heard good DJs that couldn't use an EQ to save their life. -Piercing highs aren't fun. I'm probably going to get some bwomper QSCs for my band and later get DJ equipment. I'd rather have more power than I'd use than not enough... That's just me.

It's kinda strange nobody who knows stuff-bout-it responded... :bor:

• 3 months later...
  • Members

i really doubt scratching is a thing to do at weddings.

there's no place at wedding to be the "smart guy on stage" imho.

wedding parties are not that easy, you have to keep old folks on the dancefloor while not sending the youngsters homewards and viceversa.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

wedding parties are not that easy, you have to keep old folks on the dancefloor while not sending the youngsters homewards and viceversa.

Absolutely. Honestly I've found parties to be much more entertaining and energetic than weddings. Weddings feels more like you're on pins and needles most of the time.

As for your question, just to give you reference, back in the day I spent about $2,000 on my PA system alone. My goals was to perform at medium sized parties (1-300 people).

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

i really doubt scratching is a thing to do at weddings.

there's no place at wedding to be the "smart guy on stage" imho.

I wanted the ability to scratch for other applications. Playing house parties, clubs and performing my original material.

Archived