I want to learn

Dreadkid08

• Members

Hey I'm originally a guitar player so I know how to play in bands and stuff and I'm learning music production right now, but I'd also like to learn how to DJ and I was wondering where is a good place to start from?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

get some music you want to mix (hip hop, trance, house etc...) and a program to mix it on the computer, mostly because of the cost, you dont want to run out and get decks and a mixer if it ends up being something you dont like. You can find free programs or even a free demo of some professional dj program.

then just hop to it. match the beats and mix it, there is tons of how to articles and videos out there to help you along the way.

• Members

I started with decks and a mixer. I love them but I've been dreaming about having the income to purchase those things for a while.

For a beginner with a little cash to pursue this I would recommend Traktor Pro by Native Instruments for software. I believe it's about $200 but it's software that is simple to pick up and use for a beginner but will definitely support you if you decide to pursue Djing since a lot of pros use it too.

One more thing I would recommend as well. The Korg Nano Pad for a MIDI controller. You can put samples and trigger song cues with the pads, and use the XY pad as a fader. All of this can be mapped on the setup screen in traktor very easily.

Archived