POwered or non powered speakers

mike598

• Members

what should i invest in ? reasons for both would be appreciated.

I like powered since they are convenient ,, and if one dies , you still have sound. It aint gonna be stereo but its still music.

• Members

Personally I would choose powered speakers because amp is built-in so no need for a messy cable set up. Non-powered speakers are cheaper but you may want to make sure that your speaker and the amp is perfectly matched in terms of impedance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Live sound application, but still....

About a year ago, a bandmate picked up a pair of JBL Eon G2 powered speakers. During set-up for the next gig, we had time to do an A/B comparison between them and the passive Mackie & Peavey speakers we had been using.

The difference was not subtle. Not even close. The powered speakers had better articulation, tighter bass, were more nuance on quiet parts, and sounded WAY cleaner at high volumes. Since then, I've sold all my passive gear and picked up a pair of EV SxA active speakers (one 100 and one 250), and a Soundcraft mixer.

This setup is highly flexible and more than adequate to the (admittedly small/medium sized) venues we play.

Archived