Should I press vinyl, CD, or MP3? 2009 edition

DevilRaysFan

• Members

Im sure this has been done before, but Id like to know which is the most used format by djs? I did a search and couldnt find this poll. Thanks

Also, please let me know what you picked and what format dj you are (i.e.: variety, drum n bass, country line dance, hip hop, etc )

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I would go for MP3. Most DJ's use vinyl turntables with software like Serato, so the MP3 would be the most convenient. Most DJ's don't want to go carrying around all of their records any more, and the vinyl wears out overs time. If you press CD's, most DJ's would probably just rip the MP3 anyway.

• Members

I would go for MP3. Most DJ's use vinyl turntables with software like Serato, so the MP3 would be the most convenient. Most DJ's don't want to go carrying around all of their records any more, and the vinyl wears out overs time. If you press CD's, most DJ's would probably just rip the MP3 anyway.

Wow - a response!

Thank You very much for your advice...In truth, I was thinking about pressing a 12" single.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

DevilRaysFan, you could do both! Certainly, I prefer working with mp3's or ripped CD's, but if you release both MP3 an Vinyl versions, you reach the broadest market of DJ's I can imagine... Releasing MP3's doesn't have to be expensive at all, you can get it done for around 50 $ with services like Tunecore :)

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Also, a lot artists are releasing vinyls with small cards for access to the tracks in Mp3 format as well. I can't think of the name of the company I saw but for my Santogold and Jake Ones albums they came with cards that have a download code.

Archived