Whats a good beginners setup for scratching/mixing?

xiaoxi

• Members

Go here www.skratchlounge.com Lots of information for you to read.

If you want to scratch I'd start with one used Technics 1200 ($200-300 on ebay) and moderately priced mixer ($300-500).

Tech 1200s last a long long time and hold a good resale value (about 1/2 the cost if you buy new), so if you buy a used 1200 and you decide DJing is not for you you can resell it for about the same price you bought it for. On the other hand, if you really start getting into the DJing thing you can buy a second 1200 or look into a Vestax 2000/3000 series (which have more more pitch range.)

For Mixers:

The Stanton SA5 ($200-$300) is popular for a mixer on the cheap side (you can put an innofader in it to make the fader super-nice). They're kind of hard to find though.

The Vestax PMC-06 ($300) and the PMC-05Pro ($400) used to be standard about 8 years ago, but a lot of scratch DJs have moved to other mixers. They'll work well for you.

If you're looking to spend a little more on the mixer you might look at the Audio Innovate aem-100i ($440).

If you want a really nice mixer look for the Rane TTM56 ($750). They've become the industry standard because of the faders, effects loop, and build and sound quality. I've had mine running strong for 5 years now. You might even be able to find a used one (http://cgi.ebay.com/Rane-TTM56-ttm-56-DJ-mixer-for-use-with-Serato-Vestax_W0QQitemZ130288271755QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDJ_Gear_Lighting?hash=item130288271755&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50).

A good place to buy equipment is www.turntablelab.com

I wouldn't buy a used mixer unless it's a Rane, and I wouldn't buy a used tuntable unless you buy a Technics 1200. Just confirm that everything is in working order before you buy.

You can find much cheaper equipment but you'll outgrow it pretty quick if you get into scratching. You need a decent turntable and a decent mixer(fader) to really hold it down.

Anyway, if you have one turntable and a mixer you can get into scratching right away by playing beats on your computer to scratch to. Go to www.yourlooper.com That's a database of a bunch of free flash loopers (these programs will play looped beats so you don't have to keep putting on new beats every couple of minutes.) A lot of DJs practice by scratching over looper beats these days. Once you save up extra money you can buy a second turntable and do more mixing.

• 8 years later...
  • Members

If you want to scratch, its going to cost you. Cheap turntables just wont work for scratching, as their motors suck. A turntable setup doesn't have to be super expensive, but be prepared to invest some money if you want a good setup. You could get some used turntables, and save up money for a better mixer with a soundcard so you can play with loops and samples.

When I first started I got a pair of used Numark TT500s and a DJTech DIF-2s Mixer. Dirt cheap and works great for scratching. But if you want to play with stuff like samples and loops, you will have to either get a mixer with these features, or get something like the SP-1 or the dicers.

As for what equipment to buy, this guide covers pretty much everything: http://djlab.net/2017/04/11/scratch-dj-turntable-setup/

And if you decide to buy used turntables this guide from Vekked is very useful:http://djtechtools.com/2016/02/15/2016-dj-turntables-buying-guide-dmc-world-champion/

l learned to DJ by watching youtube tutorials from DJ Angelo and DJ TLM. They cover all the basics. And BPM Supreme and Beat Refinery have some good tutorials as well.

Archived