Is there more to turntables than just shoving a disc and letting everyone here music?

samal50

• Members

I'm confused as to what these DJ turntables are all about (both CD and vinyl, and sometimes mp3 turntables?). Is it just what I think it is? Put a recorded music medium on it, then press play? Is there more to it? Can the music be modified on the spot, to change it up a bit and make it seem as if there is some "live" manipulation to the music, etc?

Are those DJ shows with "spectacular" light shows responsible for their stage light shows are is it up to the venue? Usually these lights play along simultaneously to the sound of the music. Are these lighting products sold "in a box" or are they custom built to make each DJs original with their light shows or everything is standard? Maybe I should ask this second question on the "Live Performance" section?

• Members

Both real and simulated turntables allow scratching and the usual vinyl LP manipulation. The simulated stuff will do independent pitch/key/speed/reverse etc... I'm also guessing the analog tables require a heavy duty cartridge/stylus and may have onboard preamps.

• Members

Moving forward (koph), make no mistake, entertainment is babysitting; in the DJ model, fancy, horny, alcoholic, substance abusing babysitting. On the business end, one person gets paid to corral 50 or more people into a hormonal stupor while satisfying safety concerns by limbering up the crowd for their 2 minutes of stardom.**

Political concerns are also addressed as deafening what might otherwise evolve into a keenly attentive and troublesome mob is always PC. Inspite of these and numerous other hazards, I frequent bars that feature at least one Disco night a week. I protect myself with foam earplugs and the incessant pounding is like a free metronome clinic. Multi win.

**(compare to Blues Band where 4 or more musicians plus or minus a harmonica player enthrall up to a dozen people over some beer)

Archived