what bass should I buy?

allan grossman

• Members
Originally posted by allan grossman

Under $500

A used Carvin, Peavey, or possibly a Reverend.

Under $1000

Reverend and Peavey (Millennium Series).

Under $1500

Peavey (Millennium Series and Cirrus), Spector (Czech), and Ernie Ball Musicman (Stingray or Sterling).

I've never played a G&L, so I can't comment on those.

• Members

Under 500: Ibanez, but not the ones with the low numbers...

Under 1000: Ibanez has also pretty cool ones, Peavey and some Yamaha's (depending on the fact if you want a 4 string, a 5 string or a 6 er)

Under 1500: Get yourself a custom one...otherwise a nice Ric...

• Members

I'll assume we're talking strictly about new gear here. :)

Under $500

Two suggestions - for a four-string, find a decent Mexi p-bass or jazz bass. They're servicable, you know you can get a decent tone out of them, and with a good setup it can be a very playable bass.

If you want to step up to a five-string, check out some of Yamaha's gear. I have a BBN5, which I don't think they make anymore, and it's a fantastic bass for well under $500. Passive j-pups, 24-fret neck with a rosewood fretboard. It plays well and sounds great, with solid construction.

Under $1000

This is where things start to get extremely subjective. If you're looking to spend between $500 and $1000 on a bass you should already have a pretty good idea of what you're looking for in terms of sound and playability. Here are a few suggestions, though.

First, let's look at our old friend the Fender MIM P-bass. I know, it's under $500 (well under), but for a few hundred dollars you can give it some great upgrades to put it in the $500-1000 category. A good setup, maybe a new nut, a Badass II or other aftermarket high-mass bridge, some new pups and/or the Raven Labs preamp will make this bass a tone machine and keep your total budget under a grand. If you choose your bass carefully and pick one with a good neck and solid construction these additions will give you a bass that will hands-down beat an American p-bass in terms of sound.

Check out the Ibanez BTB series of basses. I might be remembering wrong, but I think they list for prices in this range. (If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will tell me.) I've only had a chance to play one briefly, but it was a nice bass and I've read lots of reviews on them.

Mainly, shop around! Try out all the basses within a 10-hour drive of you, and find one that feels and sounds right to YOU - after all, you're the one that has to play it!

Under $1500

By the time you want to spend over a grand on a bass you better have some pretty decent skills to go with it. You should also know exactly what you want in terms of sound, number of strings, and playability.

I have a Warwick Corvette Standard 5-string, and I love it. It's absolutely an amazing bass. That said, I'm not all that impressed with the newer ones (with the ovangkol necks and wenge fretboards - I prefer the old-style wenge necks). However, they're well worth trying out. I recommend you stop by a store and try one out if they're available in your area.

I believe the MIA Fender basses fall in this category as well. However, to be brutally honest with you, I've never been terribly impressed with the MIA basses in the bang-for-the-buck category. They've never seemed THAT much better than the MIM basses to me, which means if I was going to buy a Fender I'd get an MIM and do the upgrades we discussed in the previous section.

There are a ton of other basses in this category as well, but for this much money I really have to recommend that you get out and try as many basses as you can. Spending over a grand on someone else's recommendation isn't the best way to get what you want. Get out there and find the one that's right for you.

:)

• Members

• Members

I'd like to add the under $200 category, in which essex is a clear winner.

Hell, essex + good bridge + good pickup can be had for ~$250.

Under $500 I'd say Ibanez or Schecter, they both have a number of made in korea basses that are great in the bang for the buck category. Avoid the GSR series like the plague. Oh yeah, and used T-40s should be available in this range. Never played one, but hell its the forums favorite discontinued bargain. I want one thanks to you bastards. :)

Under $1000 theres a whole lot of great contendors. Ibanez BTBs, (should be able to get a 510 for less than 1000) are good stuff. A good used G&L should be available in this range for the fenfer fans. Made in Korea Spectors, Schecters, ESPs, lots of decent choices.

Under $1500 is starting to get into what I'd call high end, where opinions matter a lot and there's really no correct answer. Check out Lakland Skylines, Modulus Flea and modulus vintage J, Czech Spectors, G&Ls, and numerous other great basses. I would avoid the MIA fenfer, but thats just me.

• Members

Originally posted by Bogster

Nate ol' buddy, I would say this applies to ALL gear, regardless of $$$....
;)

You're right of course, but I'd say the lower end gear has more clear cut good deals than the higher end. With high end stuff, its all bound to be high quality (at least it damn well better be) the little subjective details are the only thing that really matters.

• Members

I haven't checked "buy" prices on all these, but I think I've got 'em right...

Under $500:

Cort Curbow, Dean Edge 4, Hamer Import Cruise Bass (so overlooked it's pathetic--beats the MIM Fenders)

Under $1000:

Yamaha RBX 750 (or whichever is the current production model high-end RBX), Fender MIA (passive models), Ibanez BTB

Under $1500:

EB Sterling, Peavey Cirrus

I'm sure there are others

• Members

Under $500:

Danelectro

OLP

About $500

Dean Rhapsody (might be a little more)

Ibanez Ergodyne

Under $1000

Ibanez BTB