In loving prayer jpo259

metalbob

• Members

I don't know how many of you remember one of are own jpo259 but to me he was a childhood friend who I reconected with here on this forum we were friends from childhood we played army together went to school together spent last thanksgiving . Joe was one hell of a bass monster player sweet nice guy and I for one will truely miss my friend.He ended his life on november 20 he leaves behind two kids bobby and joe 12 and 10 if you met him or were lucky enough to get a post repled to from him he was a true cool person take care my friend I hope you are in a better place I miss you.....

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by metalbob

I don't know how many of you remember one of are own jpo259 but to me he was a childhood friend who I reconected with here on this forum we were friends from childhood we played army together went to school together spent last thanksgiving . Joe was one hell of a bass monster player sweet nice guy and I for one will truely miss my friend.He ended his life on november 17 he leaves behind to kids bobby and joe 12 and 10 if you met him or were lucky enough to get a post repled to from him he was a true cool person take care my friend I hope you are in a better place I miss you.....

:freak::eek::cry:

jpo259 was a cool guy. I was just gonna refer him for a gig too.......

DAMN!

• Members

jpo259

Having spent 6 years of my life as an infantryman in the Army and Marine Corps, I kinda don't like rain!!!! Too many memories of too much time spent soaking wet and cold and miserable! Nowadays, I still like throwing on a ruck and hiking the hills or doing some mountaineering, but I tell no lie when I tell others I am a fair weather hiker!!!

Carvin LB-75 Claro Walnut

Rickenbacker 4003

Warwick Corvette Fretless

Fender Aerodyne Jazz

Pedulla MVP Deluxe

Ibanez Musician

Demeter HBP-1 preamp

Line 6 Bass POD XT Pro w/ FBV Board

QSC PLX-3402 amp

Aguilar GS-212 x 2

Avatar B210 (with new crossover!)

Genz-Benz ML200 112T combo!!

I remember . . . . .

RIP friend.

• Members

I indeed remember him very well.

He will be missed.

Life's a bitch sometimes.

Originally posted by jpo259

What got you started in playing the bass ?

It was the spring/summer of 1978, and it seemed like, all of a sudden, all my friends were playing guitar. We were all 13-14 at the time. They tried to get me to play. I couldn't make my fingers do a barre chord! One day, right around the same time, we were listening to Rushs' 1976 live album, 'All the Worlds a Stage'. The tune 'By-Tor and the Snow Dog' came around, and the bassline caught me hook, line, and sinker!!! (Not the growly fight stuff, the tune's meat and potatoes bass line!). I asked my friend Jorge what kind of guitar makes THAT noise??!!! He proceeds to tell me it's a bass, and goes home to get his older bro's Fender Jazz. With a bass in hand, listening to that tune, I became HOOKED!!!!! By summers' end, my parents had gotten my a cheapo Rickenbacker copy and a Carvin 1/2 stack!! I got the newest Rush album, 'Hemispheres', a Hemispeheres music book, a Mel Bay book, and off I went!!! By Christmas break that year, I could play the whole album, and was HOOOOOOOKKKKKED!!!!!!!!!

Rest in Peace pal.

• Members

Originally posted by Jazz Ad

Oh, NOVEMBER the 17th ?

He posted on the 20th.
:(

Pretty sure I was talking to some members of the Clay Colton band thats how I found out Joe and I knew each other from grade school so I googled his name and the correct date was Sunday Nov 20 2005 my bad still makes sad gonna miss him

• CMS Author

Originally posted by Jazz Ad

I indeed remember him very well.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by jpo259

What got you started in playing the bass ?

It was the spring/summer of 1978, and it seemed like, all of a sudden, all my friends were playing guitar. We were all 13-14 at the time. They tried to get me to play. I couldn't make my fingers do a barre chord! One day, right around the same time, we were listening to Rushs' 1976 live album, 'All the Worlds a Stage'. The tune 'By-Tor and the Snow Dog' came around, and the bassline caught me hook, line, and sinker!!! (Not the growly fight stuff, the tune's meat and potatoes bass line!). I asked my friend Jorge what kind of guitar makes THAT noise??!!! He proceeds to tell me it's a bass, and goes home to get his older bro's Fender Jazz. With a bass in hand, listening to that tune, I became HOOKED!!!!! By summers' end, my parents had gotten my a cheapo Rickenbacker copy and a Carvin 1/2 stack!! I got the newest Rush album, 'Hemispheres', a Hemispeheres music book, a Mel Bay book, and off I went!!! By Christmas break that year, I could play the whole album, and was HOOOOOOOKKKKKED!!!!!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He will be missed.

Life's a bitch sometimes.Rest in Peace pal.

I remember this post! It stuck because it was so similar to how I got started, and was around the same time as well.

I also remember being impressed that he served in two branches of the military at two different times.

For whatever it's worth I hope this sad news is incorrect. If not, I'm very sorry to read this. It's way too tragic to leave behind a young family under any circumstances.

• Members
http://www.sdreader.com/published/2005-12-01/blurt.htm

Monster Bass Player Lost Oceanside police confirm that Joe Pontisso, 41, shot himself in the head while driving on College Boulevard November 19. Pontisso, a bassist in the Clay Colton Band, 427, and Triocity, played regularly at Carlsbad venues. His friends say Pontisso had recorded all the bass parts on Evel Knievel -- The Rock Opera, a musical that has been recorded and may become a stage show.

"He wasn't a big guy, but he was a monster bass player," says guitarist Jon Jones of his longtime friend, a fellow ex-Marine.

"He played with us Thursday [November 17] at JJ Landers in Fallbrook," says Clay Colton. "He showed up at Tom Giblin's on Saturday and said, 'Hi.' Then he left, and you know the end of the story. We knew he was always slightly depressed, but we thought it was job-oriented."

Pontisso, a bomb expert, detonated ordnance for a living.

"He saw his friend accidentally blow himself up in an armory on Camp Pendleton," says drummer Mike Stryler. "He had so many experiences in the military. I think he just carried a lot of troublesome things he wasn't able to let go of." Pontisso left behind two children aged 12 and 10. -- Ken Leighton

• Members

Some of us are just fortunate enough to have passed through our personal times of challenge and can make it through the night now. Sometimes the animal just takes its victim with it. My thoughts and prayers will be lifted up for the two young boys he left behind and a totally destroyed mother that has to help those boys deal with Joe's passing.

If any of you are feeling like Joe was please E-mail, PM call or come to Florida and talk to me. You are not out there alone. 24/7

JD

Archived