Cable vs. Wireless Analysis

Zeromus-X

• Members

Well now, here's some interesting data for those who care about it.

Preface: This test should not be taken as the be-all end-all of wireless tests for these units. I did this in a matter of five minutes using a bassline that I played by hand. When I have more time, I'll use a reference tone (such as a bass drop) which would be identical through each wireless system, and we'd see a definite cutoff point. However, since this is for a bass rig, I figured the easiest thing to do would be to run the bass through it.

Test equipment:

Thanks, and I hope this helps someone!

• Members

Nice work, Z-X! I do notice the Sennheiser seems to have a bump in the 2K-9K range, which is curious, but it tracks much more accurately in the low-mid 250 to 2K range which is probably more important to bass tone. I haven't played much more with mine yet, other than the little bit last night, and I'm nowhere near this scientific, but I'm impressed. Thanks for the data.

(And for Jesus, etc., I didn't get this so much so I can move around a lot, though that'd be all right, the main reason is that so I stop tripping and stepping on my cord and tearing the cord ends and output jacks up.)

• Members

If anyone cares (feel free to post if you do), I'm going to be running a test tone through the thing tonight. Basically, it'll be a tone that increases linearly from 10 Hz to 10000 Hz. Frequency analysis on that should tell us the exact dropoff point of each of the wireless systems (or it'll tell us the dropout spot of some random piece of my equipment... hah) as compared to a cable. The signal will be generated from a computer and played back exactly the same for each method, whereas the previous test was all done by hand so there's a good chance for some errors.

I also plan on finding out, using this method, wtf that 15k spike is. Maybe it's something in my bass. I don't know.

• Members

Originally posted by MrJoshua

How much for one of those Sennheiser units? I could use a good wireless - I move around a LOT on stage.
:)

American Musical has 'em for $299. I gave allan a link on another thread to a place selling them for $239, and American Musical will match the price. If you spend another $11 there, you can use their Easy Payment Plan, which is split into three equal payments. Also, they don't charge shipping. I got a Roadie Wrench with mine, for the hell of it.

• Members

Originally posted by Zeromus-X

American Musical has 'em for $299. I gave allan a link on another thread to a place selling them for $239, and American Musical will match the price. If you spend another $11 there, you can use their Easy Payment Plan, which is split into three equal payments. Also, they don't charge shipping. I got a Roadie Wrench with mine, for the hell of it.

Darn it, I'm drooling on my keyboard!

• Members

I'm sold.

**Honey, I know what you can get me for Christmas!!!!!**

Hey, do you have any idea what extra trasmitters would cost? I know it's a 4 channel reciever and I would want 3 transmitters for my 3 main axes. That way I don't have to get more recievers as well.

Archived