Why isn't the bass forum split up in more forums?

Dragonlord

• Members

Well, I've been here a few times but this thing is unwatchable. We need at least an off topic forum, and probably different forums for equipment and general bass discussion. I'd like to come here more often, but in this status it's kinda frustrating.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Go to the guitar forum. A thread will drop very quickly and many times without response.

I bet if you asked a on topic question, you'd get the answer you'd need.

If you a just trying to gain general knowldge of bass stuff just by reading threads that pop up, this might not be the best place to look.

Yo.

• Members

Originally posted by Rowka

www.talkbass.com
should be more to your liking.

Yes, I'm already a member there, but I like the more loose attitude I find here. I know you can get used to it if you hang around and visit often - but this is only friendly for addicts (not offending anyone here, i've been a forum addict, just trying to avoid it a bit). If you come back after 2 days, the new posts are chaos. I'm not saying that it should be 10 forums, but 2 or 3 would keep things more readable and still tight. After all, the guitar forums of HC seem to be doing fine and they are seven. Can't see why the bass forum should have a different approach (I know it has less traffic, I'm not saying to make it seven forums too).

And there are people who come here to talk about bass and not muslims. If you want that, you should be able to go to an off topic forum and talk about whatever.

@Crescent: I know, it was mainly a question to moderators/admins.

• Members

This forum is the best.

I can prove it.

You can come here knowing little or nothing about bass. Not even a player. In very little time, you can learn all the best gear to get for the best money, tutelage and encouragement on playing, tips on auditions and 'getting the gig,' become a semipro player, and become moderator. All in a very short period of time.

Eat that.

:p

• Members

Sure, but I can't see how that would change if the same topics were put in 2 or 3 forums instead of one. 2 or 3 forums are really easy to keep up with for those who like the current situation, and it would be much easier for those who don't want the OT chat to follow what's interesting for them. You see, if someone is in the market for some new gear and would like to read the most recent equipment discussions (with no keywords in mind) it would be much easier to read the last three pages of an equipment forum than to read the last fifteen pages of this forum to find the equipment-related threads.

• Members

I'm not a big fan of subdivided forums.

If you're looking for specific gear or brands, the search feature works nicely.

If you're looking for general advice, this place is always rapid fire and friendly.

But if ya don't like it, ya don't like it.

• Members

Well, the topic has come up before and I think the short answer is that we like it this way.

The slightly longer answer would be that we like it this way, and really probably don't want anyone who is so uptight to care about it, posting here.

• Members

It am what it am.

I tried several forums, but this one always seemed friendly, more relaxed and more informative.

You can ask stupid questions (and I have) without a whole lot of razzing.

It's not formal and I like the scatter-shot approach.

It does get off topic, but those things are usually marked... OT. So if you don't want to talk about Britney Spear's child rearing skills, don't.

I don't see any need to change it... if I want to find specific information, I do a search. Or just get lazy and start another thread about how to mod an SX!

• Members

Originally posted by Addix Metzatricity

That comes with the loose attitude. There's no way around that.

+1.

It's a part of what makes HCBF unique.

We have a FAQ crypt for everspawning questions, other than that it's all in a single place.

The issue has been discussed many times in the past and it's better this way.

As said, other bass forums offer different styles. To each his own.

We just hope you will like it here.

• Members

Why isn't the bass forum split up in more forums?

'Cause then you'ld miss all the hilarious stuff that happens around here.

To me this place is special. I don't post much, but I lurk daily and the regulars here are my heros. I love everything bass, but many a day has been brightened by some hilarious off topic post. I'd never want that to change.

To me, the HCBF is less like going to a library where you can look up specific things and meet with your study group and more like going to a big crazy family reunion populated by bass players, where some people are talking business in their polos, uncle conservative and uncle hippie are having an argument by the pool, Jr's showing off his tatoos, there's a bunch of drunks talking all at the same time by the BBQ and around the corner there's a line for BOALG's mom. :eek::D

Ooops. Well maybe that last bit was a little much for such a newbie. Sorry 'bout that. Just kidding just kidding.

But seriously, don't turn my BBQ into a library thank you very much.

drinkers.gif

• Members

Well, one note on the "we like it this way" point: of course members who stick around like it, otherwise they'd be in a different forum - and I'm sure there have been many here who've seen how it is, didn't like it and moved on. That is, if it was split up in ten forums and I was asking "why don't you put it in 2 or 3 forums" I'm sure the majority of answers would still be "cause we like it this way".

@Dark Slide: You may "not want anyone who is so uptight to care about it, posting here", but obviously the majority (including you) cares about it enough to have a preferance and post it. If you were so kewl and non-uptight, you just wouldn't care ;)

Anyway, as jazzad said, to each his own.

• Members

This is the corner bar. Have a beer and a shot, talk some shop, shoot some pool, throw another record on the jukebox, maybe remember what you were talking about or that you're actually shooting a game of pool, have another shot, talk gear, brag or bitch about the band, the babe, the boss, ....

If this split up, I'd stop coming. In fact, this NOT being split up is why I come here. If I want everything so segregated and anal, I'll go back into work for the rest of my day. Some of those other forums are a pain in the ass, the way everything is compartmentalized.

I like it here!

• Members

Originally posted by bassman1956

If this split up, I'd stop coming. In fact, this NOT being split up is why I come here. If I want everything so segregated and anal, I'll go back into work for the rest of my day. Some of those other forums are a pain in the ass, the way everything is compartmentalized.

I like it here!

Exactly.

I pretty much hate every one of you {censored}ers, but this place amuses me, so I stick around :D

And every now and then a nugget of useful information might actually fall out of me... on accident of course.

Archived