Base Closings, anyone affected?

burdizzos

• Members

Ellington Field is down the street but the list says they are closing the "Army National Guard Reserve Center, Ellington". Doesn't say anything about the Airforce Reserve there.

• Members

I remember about 10 years or so ago when they did this. There was talk of shutting down Ft. Sheridan (just south of the Great Lakes Naval Training Center...north of Chicago for you folks that don't know the place). There was this huge public outcry. They closed the base anyway. As I understand it, the folks are actually really happy about it in hindsight. I'm not sure how the area was developed though.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by beam

New London CT is where the Trident nuclear submarines where if I remember correctly. Seems odd they'd close it.

Yeah, it's also the nearest base to the Electric Boat shipyard in Groton. I'm assuming they're planning to only have one sub base on each coast.

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

Yeah, it's also the nearest base to the Electric Boat shipyard in Groton. I'm assuming they're planning to only have one sub base on each coast.

Could very well be.

• Members

The base near where my parents live (Grissom Air Reserve Base) is actually expanding by a little over 300 people, and the one in Terre Haute is decreasing by about 175. People here in Indiana are just getting moved around, not shut down.

• Members

They are shutting down Westover in Chicopee, MA, which is a huge surprise to me and is going to be a big blow to the local economy. And its one of only a couple of runways in the US that are capable of serving as a back-up landing strip for the Space Shuttle.

Also closing Otis AFB on Cape Cod. I wonder if they will take resposibility for cleaning up the massive hazardous waste problem that base created.

• Members
Originally posted by basshunter

...I wonder if they will take resposibility for cleaning up the massive hazardous waste problem that base created.

If the Sunflower Ammunition Plant in Kansas is any indication, then "no".

• CMS Author

Originally posted by basshunter

They are shutting down Westover in Chicopee, MA, which is a huge surprise to me and is going to be a big blow to the local economy. And its one of only a couple of runways in the US that are capable of serving as a back-up landing strip for the Space Shuttle.

Also closing Otis AFB on Cape Cod. I wonder if they will take resposibility for cleaning up the massive hazardous waste problem that base created.

Stewart Airport near Newburg, NY has Shuttle capability, and it's a combination commercial airport and base for the 105th MAC, so there's no danger of it being closed. If I'm not mistaken, Plattsburgh, NY is/was also capable of handling the Shuttle. I jsut don't remember if it's still open.

• Members

Originally posted by burdizzos

I suppose I need to vote for my sitting senators and congressman next time around, Virginia only lost one. Keep that federal gravy train rolling.

There's probably one major reason for that: Warner chairs Senate Armed Services. Not wise to {censored} with him. :)

Allen, on the other hand, is an inconsequential hockey thug of a Senator who's never had an original thought of his own since they gave him the Grade 5 Republican talking point manual decades ago. Feel free to smack him one for just being a tool. :D

• Members

Originally posted by Thunderbroom

I remember about 10 years or so ago when they did this. There was talk of shutting down Ft. Sheridan (just south of the Great Lakes Naval Training Center...north of Chicago for you folks that don't know the place). There was this huge public outcry. They closed the base anyway. As I understand it, the folks are actually really happy about it in hindsight. I'm not sure how the area was developed though.

Big, expensive homes and townhomes if I recall correctly.

• Members

I grew up in Hawthorne Nv. Pop 3,000. See the movie 'the Hulk?' That base housing looked so close it was freaky. Soon that town will look just like the deserted base housing in the movie, too.

• Members

Originally posted by Zamfir

There's probably one major reason for that: Warner chairs Senate Armed Services. Not wise to {censored} with him.
:)

Allen, on the other hand, is an inconsequential hockey thug of a Senator who's never had an original thought of his own since they gave him the Grade 5 Republican talking point manual decades ago. Feel free to smack him one for just being a tool.
:D

Yeah, I'll be voting against both of them, not that it will matter.

The Groton sub base surprised the hell out of me, but that's cool, some of those boats will be sent here which equates to more money for me.

• Members

Originally posted by NeonVomit

The U.S. government is making military cutbacks?
:eek:

Paradoxical, is it not?

In all fairness, we still have a lot of the Cold War infrastructure sitting around that has been protected by long-term senators and other power brokers. It's a wonder some of these bases have stayed around this long.

Still sucks for the military men/women, though.

• Members

Originally posted by Kin Corn Karn

Still sucks for the military men/women, though.

It really doesn't suck for them, they still have jobs. It sucks for the no talent lazy gov't employees who will be out of work as a result. Since they have little training and no real resume, they will find it nearly impossible to make half of what they were used to when riding the federal employee money train.

• Members

Originally posted by burdizzos

It really doesn't suck for them, they still have jobs. It sucks for the no talent lazy gov't employees who will be out of work as a result. Since they have little training and no real resume, they will find it nearly impossible to make half of what they were used to when riding the federal employee money train.

True, true. I was thinking about guys that have to pick up and move, too, though. Moving sucks no matter who pays.

Archived