affordable all tube bass heads

P_air Bass82

• Members

hey guys,

the bass player in my band wants to buy a new bass head in the near future and he wants it to be all tube. Problem is that he's only gonna have around 700 max to spend. should be around the 300w range or somewhere close to that. i've been keeping my eye out for a trace elliot v4 or v6 or whatever but they seem to be hard to find. anyone know of all tube heads that can be found used for around that price?

thanks!

• Members

I got my mesa 400 for $690. It was re tubed before i got it too. Its from the 80's and is like 500 or 600 watts. I got it off ebay. The only problem is my power button just broke so i have to unplug it to turn it off and vice versa. Standby still works though.

• Members

It's gonna have to be used. And when searching for used gear there is one rule... Patience.

I've seen svts for about $800 used. Just keep looking and socking away.

If you don't have the patience...go for the Traynor. I love Traynor stuff, but haven't heard one of the new ones. He would be happy.

• Members

Originally posted by Sixgun77

What's the top of the line one they make. I swear it had a lot more than 300 watts.

That was their best tube head. Sunn (and then Fender) made a 1200s but is was solid state. A used Sunn 300t can be had for under $700 usually. I sold mine in near perfect condition for $650 about 4 months ago.

• Members

Originally posted by cosmicpimp2

I got my mesa 400 for $690. It was re tubed before i got it too. Its from the 80's and is like 500 or 600 watts.

They produce plenty of juice, but not that much I must say.

"Looks around for L. Ron Hoover"

• Members

Originally posted by REMUS

thats a hansome looking tube amp, what model is it and how much?

That's a Traynor YBA-200. They were $595 when I got it. But was there last night, and like Beam said, they're now $640.

It sitting on some used Mesa's, Powerhouse 2x10 and 1x15.

• Members

Originally posted by bnyswonger

They produce plenty of juice, but not that much I must say.

"Looks around for L. Ron Hoover"

Agreed, I thought they were 350? :confused:

And besides, as we all know, 300 tube watts should keep almost anybody happy, right Bob? ;)

• Members

The 400+ is 300W at best. The 400 with 6x6550 is about 300, the 400 with 6x6l6 is only around 150. The 400 originally came with 6550s but a lot of the older ones have 6l6s for some reason. You just can't get more than 25 clean watts out of a 6l6...

BUT......

The 400/400+ is a monster. They're great sounding, LOUD amps, so I don't know why Mesa uses misleading numbers for them. The amps speak for themselves. Any 300W tube amp should be loud enough for any situation. :D

• Members

Originally posted by cosmicpimp2

i just checked my mesa and it say 600 but thats gotta be off. Its an 82 also

600W would be the maximum amount of power it can draw out of the wall, which is actually a god indication that the amp can actually do around 300W output power. Class AB amplifiers are typically around 50% efficient.

• Members

Originally posted by speddling

Tubeless bass head with flight case = $350

8x KT88, 5x 12AX7, 1x 12AT7 = $250

Amp Guru's bias adjustment mumbojumbo = $100

oh-yeah02.jpg

almost 450 watts of clean tube power & tonal Bliss..... priceless
:cool:

Back surgery = $60,000..................:D

• Members

Originally posted by sludgebass69

Back surgery = $60,000..................
:D

I watched my Grandfather hump around a fender twin into his late 70s... and never complain. Like him, I ain't no girly man.

Plus I'm bright enough to buy a hand truck ;)

• Members

Originally posted by speddling

I watched my Grandfather hump around a fender twin into his late 70s... and never complain. Like him, I ain't no girly man.

;)

+1

If I get too lame to bust some gear, just {censored}ing shoot me, please.

Archived