Gibson ThunderBird + Sunn Amp

REMUS

• Members

Right how much is a gibson thunderbird worth?

16_3.JPG

And did Sunn make a 400w all tube amp? I thought their top model was 300w? If so what did the 400w model look like and how much is that worth?

Cheers!

• Members

Originally posted by ImaSmrtBaby

why would you possibly want to sell them?

No i'm buying them (hopefully).

Anyone got any info on the amp? This guy has offered me the amp for $450 US, what do you guys reckon??

• Members

The 300 watt amp you're talking about is the 300T; it's a Fender amp and is now re-branded as this:

http://fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0213302010

What yout're looking at is an old Sunn. I'm not sure which model number (looks like 1200s, but I'm not sure that they had reverb, like that one appears to). It's probably either 2 x or 4x 6550 or kt-88.

Information here:

http://www.dangpow.com/~sunn

and here:

http://www.richbriere.com/The_Sunn_Shack.htm

Good luck!!

• Members

That amp is a Sunn 1200s, all tube, and is often confused with the later hybrid Fender Sunn 1200s. It is a fairly rare Sunn model, similar to it's coveted big brother, the 2000s, but has reverb & tremolo, and was meant for an ultra clean guitar sound. It's not desireable by by bassists, however, they sound almost identical to the 2000s. They also usually don't fetch quite the same prices as one. However, it still works extremely well for bass. I have it's smaller counterpart, the sceptre, and it's a great bass amp, and although the reverb sucks, the tremolo is quite excellent. It's rated at 120 watts, but really puts out close to 180 watts, and peaks at 280 watts.

I'd get it.

• Members

Are you sure it's a tube amp he is offering me shipping $99 when I was neogitateing with a guy for a trace elliot v6 te best shipping quote he could get was somthing stupid like $400 CAD!?

Do Sunn amp's weigh significantly less or somthing?

• Members

Originally posted by REMUS

Are you sure it's a tube amp he is offering me shipping $99 when I was neogitateing with a guy for a trace elliot v6 te best shipping quote he could get was somthing stupid like $400 CAD!?

Do Sunn amp's weigh significantly less or somthing?

The Sunn amp is less wattage, but it shouldn't weigh too much less than the Trace. The model you've posted is definately a tube amp, as the 1200s hybrid looks more like this:

1200s.jpg

It's a full tube amp. And should be a helluva lot better than the Hughes & Kettner.

• Members

I bought my T-bird with the case for $700 and its a '91. A brand new goes for about $1500 and a used one you should pay no more than $1100, Theres only a few times where there will be a good guy on ebay who will not start the bid at $1200, but the most desired '76 and the non reverse body types can go for $1800 or more.

• Members

Originally posted by The Ox

That amp is a Sunn 1200s, all tube, and is often confused with the later hybrid Fender Sunn 1200s. It is a fairly rare Sunn model, similar to it's coveted big brother, the 2000s, but has reverb & tremolo, and was meant for an ultra clean guitar sound. It's not desireable by by bassists, however, they sound almost identical to the 2000s. They also usually don't fetch quite the same prices as one. However, it still works extremely well for bass. I have it's smaller counterpart, the sceptre, and it's a great bass amp, and although the reverb sucks, the tremolo is quite excellent. It's rated at 120 watts, but really puts out close to 180 watts, and peaks at 280 watts.

I'd get it.

Have you got a clip of what it sounds like, I was initially looking for Vintage SVT's when I found the Sunn. How do they compare?

edit: btw thanks for the info so far everyone!

• Members

Originally posted by REMUS

Have you got a clip of what it sounds like, I was initially looking for Vintage SVT's when I found the Sunn. How do they compare?

edit: btw thanks for the info so far everyone!

Dude, this is going to be like asking Darwin if there is a God.

Archived