Ricky is home!!

no-logic

• Members

I just got my new Ric 4003 in Midnight Blue today. I opened it up and it is beautiful! However, it is not set up worth a damn. I thought Pick of the Rics set their basses up before shipping but they must have missed this one. The action is very high. The nut slots need to be cut deeper and the strings at the 12th fret are a good 3/8" off the fretboard. I haven't looked but the truss rod probably needs to be tweeked also. I'm kind of disappointed. I played it a little and it sounds O.K. The pickup height needs adjustingtoo so I won't pass judgement on the sound yet. It sure needs more volume than I thought. (I have all active basses.) But we'll see. Once I get it set up i'll give it a thorough road test.:(

• Members

That's pretty normal. Mine came with the action set much higher than I like it too and yes, the strings needed to be taken down a bit at the nut on mine as well. Once you get it set up the way you like it though, she'll play so sweet.

• Members

Originally posted by no-logic

Is it just a matter of turning each the same amount?

Usually that is the case. Sometimes one side needs a little more than the other. Use the strings as a straight edge. A Rick bass is meant be set up with the neck as straight as possible. Give it a day or so before you do anything. Sometimes shipping / changes in environment can cause the neck to change, it ight have left POTR just fine. I had to set up my trans red 4004/5Cii after I got it from POTR.

I thought I was going to have to setup my mapleglo 4004/5Cii when it arrived from POTR, but after 2 days it seemed to right itself.

• Members

Originally posted by el_duderino676

ok, a few questions, what is the url for Pick of the Rics, do they have the prices listed, and if not, what do they run there?

http://www.pickofthericks.com/

The prices on new instruments at Pick Of The Ricks is competitive with other Rick dealers. The service at POTR will be much better than that of one one the big online stores if in the event you have a problem.

• Members

Originally posted by Tim in WV

who are those guys?

Jim Reeves and his Blue Boys, the namesakes of the blueboy Rick color. Rick made blue colored instruments and amps for them back in the day.

Archived