Five String Flatwounds...

Thunderbroom

• Members

It is almost impossible to find five sets in anything locally. I have to use extra long scale sets on my Schecter. I gave up even trying to find them locally, and just order a couple sets at a time. My other five needs taper wound, and that's even harder to come by. Just one price to pay for playing a fiver. Or a Steinie!:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by J.

Yep, I couldn't even find them in the Twin Cities. I had to order them from the Fiend.

If I remember correctly, you're looking for the "Super Long Scale" and not just the "Long Scale" ones.

ECB81-5SL.gif

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=101/g=home/search/detail/base_id/42559

How can I be sure?

These will be going on my L-2500 Tribute (34" Scale) and strung through the body.

• Members

Originally posted by Ted Striker

what is the tonal quality of chromes? Brighter than nickle?Dull?

I really can't say...I'm not much for describing string tone. I use Chromes on my L-2000 and thing they'd be perfect for the L-2500. I guess I kinda like the "dead" sound of flats...plus the feel of the strings...PLUS it hides my poor technique.

• Members

Originally posted by Thunderbroom

How can I be sure?

These will be going on my L-2500 Tribute (34" Scale) and strung through the body.

Wow, that's a tough one. I'd assumed you were going to install them on a 35" scale bass, but I forgot that the G&L Tribute basses are 34" scale. I don't know how the stringthrough bridges affect the scale length. I suppose it depends on how thick the body is and how deep the ferrules are. I'd email D'Addario and see if they know.

• Members

Originally posted by L-1329

It is almost impossible to find five sets in anything locally. I have to use extra long scale sets on my Schecter. I gave up even trying to find them locally, and just order a couple sets at a time.

my experience exactly - I live in Denver....just go to the net....c-d

• Members

I've used GHS Stainless-steel flats both on my fretless and my main fretted bass for years. I think they sound fine but I've never tried chrome, nickel, or anything else (if there is anything else). What are the differences in tone and price?

• Members

TBroom, I think you'll need the superlongs. When I tried a set of long Chromes on my old Brice Thunderbird (34", 4 string, strung thru body) the E string was too short. The outer winding was about 1/4" away from the nut so the core was the only part that would have seated in the slot. I would assume you'd have the same situation with the B and E on your fiver.

I did get a set of superlong groundwounds and they fit fine. I didn't like the feel of those so I put the original roundwounds on.

Just remember, you loose about an inch and half of usable string by going thru body.

P.S. Chromes are my favorite strings just for all the same reasons you mentioned before.

Archived