ot - computer help needed

brake

• Members

OK, I bought a new PC last week and I wanna stick the HD from my old one in there, but it's not working for me.. i think i've got the jumpers wrong, what are they supposed to look like for a slave HD? it was obviously the master in my old PC, so it's still set for that.

• Members

The HD should have some sort of diagram that will show where the jumpers need to be placed to be set as slave.

In addition, make sure your Primary is at the end of your IDE ribbon and that the slave is in the middle...assuming they're on the same ribbon.

• Members

well, look for a J50- number.

It would be nice if you could post some close up pics...sometimes those diagrams are tricky buggers.

If all else fails, there are only so many pins...why not just try different combinations until it works?

Putting the jumper in wrong won't be detrimental.

• Members

Oh, you could also look up the manual online if you have the model number of the HD

This would have the jumper settings. And it would keep you from having to continuously power on and off.

• Members

Originally posted by Geuel

Oh, you could also look up the manual online if you have the model number of the HD

This would have the jumper settings. And it would keep you from having to continuously power on and off.

ditto...

Look up the manual on-line. What make of HD is it anyway? Mine are Western Digital. Could possibly help you out if yours are the same.

Someone said earlier to put the slave on the end of the ribbon cable. I don't actually think it makes a difference.

Oh and also, is the HD powered up???

• Members

Right-click "My Computer" and select "Manage" Then go to "Disk Management" and you can make or delete partitions and format them by right-clicking on the colored bar it shows for each drive at the lower right of the window. :)

Or, you could open a DOS promps (start => run => "cmd.exe") and type in "format DRIVE_LETTER: /FS:FILE_SYSTEM" where DRIVE_LETTER is the letter of the drive you want formatted and FILE_SYSTEM is the type of file system you want to use on the drive. NTFS is nice for XP. :)

Or, you could open "My Computer" and right-click on the drive letter you want formatted and select "format". :) The last two options here assume you already have the drive partitioned the way you want.

• Members
Originally posted by Geuel

In addition, make sure your Primary is at the end of your IDE ribbon and that the slave is in the middle...assuming they're on the same ribbon.

It shouldn't matter where you put the drives on the cable if the jumpers are set properly. If you are using CS though, you'll need to position the drives according to what you want them to be; master on the end of the cable, and slave in the middle.

Archived