Customs and Taxes - From Canada?

illidian

• Members

Does anyone know what customs and taxes will be like, recieving a bass (Essex) from Canada down here to the U.S.?

There's one going on eBay for $150 with some upgrades (p/u's, pots, bridge, pickguard), but after shipping, customs, and taxes I don't know if it will be worth it (shipping alone is $40). I am clueless about how much such things will cost.

Can anyone provide some insight?

• Members

I'm assuming it was made overseas. If it was U.S. made, and was returning as a used instrument to the U.S. from Can., there would be no duty. The duty to bring guitars into Canada is 6%, so I would think you would be paying no more than that, if anything.

I was told once that goods from overseas could be shipped duty free between Can. &the U.S. since import taxes to N.America were paid when the item was shipped to the store as new. Don't know how true that is though.

• Members

Originally posted by james on bass

I'm assuming it was made overseas. If it was U.S. made, and was returning as a used instrument to the U.S. from Can., there would be no duty. The duty to bring guitars into Canada is 6%, so I would think you would be paying no more than that, if anything.

I was told once that goods from overseas could be shipped duty free between Can. &the U.S. since import taxes to N.America were paid when the item was shipped to the store as new. Don't know how true that is though.

Yea, Essex basses aren't made in America. But maybe it was sold from Rondo Music?

6% of $150 is $9, plus $40 in shipping that's $200 for a used Essex (with some upgrades that I would have made anyway), I think I'll pass.

Archived