Installing an active pre in a Jazz

beav2k2

• Members

I'm trying to install an active preamp in my Jazz bass and I want to keep it as simple looking as possible so I don't have to route for the battery or anything else. I'm thinking about this one

If I have to route a hole for the battery, should I put it under my pickguard or put a battery box on the back?

• Members

I used the EMG preamp for years - the battery fit right in the electronics route in the front of the bass with no problem. The battery fit under the two volume pots, which worked well because there wasn't room for it under the preamp or input jack. However, this may not work on every and all J Basses. There's no real standards for their manufacture anymore.

I feel the best place for a battery is in the back in its own little compartment. This is a quite a feat of woodworking to pull off for the faint-of-heart with little woodworking experience. It's a little easier to route a cavity under the pickguard because you can do a less than perfect job and still cover it up when the pickguard goes back on.

The J - Retro is really the answer, if you're willing to part with around $300. The downside is that it is certainly not the most simple piece of gear out there. If you consider getting one, make sure you get the newest version, which isn't as noisy as the first version.

• Members

I use the EMG preamp in all of my basses. It's realy not a bad unit at all. Sounds great in the studio and has variable treble points so you can adjust if you want it bright or glassy. Also does'nt take over the sound of the whole bass. Lots to like, little to dislike.

Archived