New Carbon Fiber Bass Prototype

Markee

• Members

Hi Gang, I had the pleasure of breifly trying out a P-Bass prototype last night offerd by Bill Shippey who is taking his aircraft engineering background to a new level. The Bass I tried was raw, light weight and exhibited all kinds of potential. I don't think it weighted more than three or four pounds. It possessed a reedy lower middle range that was unique and warm and was sensitive to string attack. The prototype I played was fretless but Bill says the production model will sport frets. He plans to offer different neck shapes and pickup configurations.

All in all, I was very impressed with both the bass and the builder who shares a real passion for music. Bill would like to share your ideas with him to be able to come up with a real kick ass bass so give him an email at; www.riverruns2me@AOL.com he's a fly fisherman as well.....He's a real cool guy!

• Members

Prototype basses are always cool to see. I've always wondered whata bass with a hollow aluminum body would sound like. Perhaps crap. Same with a metal plated fretboard: fretless or one-fretted?

• Members

Originally posted by Zebra

I've always wondered whata bass with a hollow aluminum body...

I've heard they used to make uprights out of aluminum for things like USO tours. Man, I'd love to see and sample one of those!

As for prototypes, did you see the Tobias I posted the other day?

Archived