What do you think of the Epiphone Thunderbird?

losergeek

• Members

t-bird = rock

I have the same model and NoiseFactory did. 5-string non-reverse. I love mine.

I've played the newer ones and I like them as well. The Nikki Sixx model also has a good sound to it. Thin necks and ballsy.

From my experience:

Mid range-y with a little bite on the highs. You can play it with fingers and get some rounder lower sounds. If you planning to play fusion/ Jaco stuff, keep looking. If you plan to bang out some rock, play a t-bid. And not many bassess look cooler.

• Members

Originally posted by el_duderino676

How were you able to pull off keeping both?

I was able to pull some of my vacation money out from work.

Its all good now.

Yeah, like someone posted. It has a nice mid range warm growl to it. Not over the edge growl but it just sounds warm. Its not extremely versatile though but if it has the sound your looking for it does it well.

• Members

NECK HEAVY. make sure you try it out standing up for a bit before you buy, i bought one after playing sitting down, and then when ii got home, it couldnt stand having to hold the neck up all the time. so make sure you try for a while, standing, before buying.

• Members

Originally posted by musicjunky

NECK HEAVY. make sure you try it out standing up for a bit before you buy, i bought one after playing sitting down, and then when ii got home, it couldnt stand having to hold the neck up all the time. so make sure you try for a while, standing, before buying.

that's why you snap the neck off and install a warmoth neck.:D

• Members

Originally posted by el_duderino676

that's why you snap the neck off and install a warmoth neck.
:D

Its not something to do with the neck, I dont think.

I hate neck-heavy basses. It's the one thing I will never tolerate on a bass. Ever.

• Members

I had bought one of the early versions with thunderbird type pups for a nephew. Rather reminded me of the tone, playability & tone dislikes of the 1970's gibson bicentenial thunderbird I had back then. Nice for dark finger style play, but not good for pick playing. Is bassically what I'd call a ark nassally voice. Also Like the 70's gibson version the balance between pups was also rather odd and uneven. Very neck divey. And though its not the longest bass I've played, feels like it is. My BC Rich amer warlock is longer, but feels shorter then the tbird to me in playing.

If you really like the thunderbird sound for your playing style. Then the epi with thunderbird style pups is a very good copy of the 70's gibson tbirds for tone, playabilty, & feel.

• Members

Originally posted by TheDude15k

I was kind of wondering about these basses too. I was thinking of either getting one of these or one of those new ibanez iceman basses.

-rob-

I think there are some Iceman basses on clearance at MF for $395 or something....

just a sec,......

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_id/110809

$395

• Members

The T-bird rocks.

I had some sound issues at first, but then I learned to tweak my amp correctly and now it sounds awesome. The amp settings that worked for my other basses didn't work well for the T-bird.

Then I moved the strap button to the heel under the neck (pointing towards the headstock) and got rid of some of the neck-heaviness. Now I can let go of the neck and not have the bass dive every time.

The only downside is I lost some reach to the upper frets because of the strap button getting in the way. But on the other hand I didn't buy the T-bird to play upper-fret solos, but to ROCK the ROOT.

This brings me to annuther subject. The T-bird ain't lightning fast. To be able to play fast licks, you ought to wear the bass very high, but that does NOT look cool. Especially not with a T-bird.

T-birds should be worn very low. So go buy a LONG strap.

The T-bird is also a very long instrument. I frequently accidentally bang my guitarrist over his head with my headstock.

But overall, I use it on stage whenever the setlist calls for it. It does its job very well, and as one audience member once told me about the bass (look and sound together): It's MANLY.

-DMC-

• Members

I have this bass and it's fantastic! Attention......IT IS NOT NECK HEAVY!!

I wish people would stop with that. The strap button is totally misplaced.

Put a strap button behind where the neck and body meet..above the "epiphone" insignia and VIOLA! Fixed.

I did this this week and it's perfect.

• Members

Originally posted by Mike in Albany

Put a strap button behind where the neck and body meet..above the "epiphone" insignia and VIOLA! Fixed.

Yup. Truth.

The bass has some nice tension too. The strings arent floppy at all. I have no idea why this is. I have the action set about the same for the P and TBird but the TBird is a lot tighter feeling.

• Members

Originally posted by Mike in Albany

i wish i would've known that, cuz other than the neck diving all the time, i loved it

Archived