Cars and bass gear.

philthygeezer

• Members

You should be able to fit 2 112's in an RSX. They are hatchbacks, which usually have enough room to fit a couple cabs. I used to have a 300ZX which was a hatchback, that had less room than the RSX.. and i could fit some gear in there. I'm looking at some pictures right now of an RSX trunk... you should be okay. If worse comes to worst you could always fold down the rear seats and easily fit them, no problem.

• Members

Originally posted by philthygeezer
Looking at Acura RSX on the web., but I have my doubts. Do I need something Accord-sized?

Keep in mind it's MUCH easier to fit bulky items (like cabs) in a hatchback with folding seats rather than a regular coupe.

If you're worried, just take a couple of large (empty!) cardboard boxes with you when you go car shopping. You can fold them up and stick them in the trunk. That way, you can get some idea of how your rig will fit.

Emre

• Members

Originally posted by LanEvo

If you're worried, just take a couple of large (empty!) cardboard boxes with you when you go car shopping. You can fold them up and stick them in the trunk. That way, you can get some idea of how your rig will fit.

Emre

Or go one better (like my drummer did). Tell the salesperson you won't buy the car unless you can fit your gear into it. Then test drive it home and load it up. At least you'll know for sure.

• Members

Hatchback or small wagon. I routinely fit two 1X12s, SKB 4 space, two briefcases, a mic kit, vocal and drum mic stands, my bass, a large fan (gets hot down here!) in my '86 VW Scirocco. For such a small car, it swallows quite a bit. When I played with my 410TX, I could fit one in the trunk...not having to fold the seats or remove the hatch cover.

Kim

• Members

Originally posted by Adrenochrome

With the back seats down I can fit my rack-mounted head, 4x10, 1x15, box of effects/cables and bass in my Nissan Micra (a tiny car). It does ride a bit low!

I really wish we could get smart, fuel efficient cars like that here in the Land of Haliburton , instead of "being offered" the latest Belchfire 5000 SUV from Our Ford.

Smart Cars were supposed to show up last year, but Daimler pulled the plug.."there's not a big enough market for them".

right. pass the land yacht please.

• Members

My favorite cars have always been hatchbacks. For some reason they don't sell well in the US. Perhaps that will change with the rising costs of fuel. Nothing better than having a smallish efficient vehicle that can swallow a load of stuff when needed.

Don't buy any newer sedan or coupe. The decklids are so small you can't put {censored}e in in the trunk unless you can scrunch it up a bit.

• Members

I was looking at getting one of these (about 30 mpg):

LeftFront2.jpg

Or one of these (40-50 mpg):

2006-Honda-Civic-06802031990002.JPG

But it seems like the rear seat pass through won't let me put a bass and two cabs in either one. So now I am looking at one of these (26 mpg average):

03.honda.element.f34.500.jpg

The Element is currently the most desireable for me. I can put a roof rack and a hitch on it and haul a metric {censored}-tonne of stuff out into the boonies.

The only other ones (with better mileage) I can think of are the Mazda3:

mazda3.jpg

Or the Toyota Matrix:

matrix2big.gif

I don't like the look of the 'Toy. I haven't tried the Mazda but it looks to be a winner with a very sporty outlook and 148hp.

I'm still stuck on the Element I think.

• Members

Since I'm sure it's the same, my Vibe gets about 30-34mpg depending on how I drive it. It's an automatic, 4 cylinder. I won't say it has a ton of power, but I don't have a problem passing people on the highway or anything.

One of the big selling points for me was the features it had at its price. It's got a 115V outlet up front, two cigarette lighters (one hidden for cellphone chargers/etc), a radio with RDS capability, and a metric {censored} ton of room. You can get it with an LCD screen and nav system, too, if you've got more money than I do. The passenger seat folds down flat so you can slide a 6x10 or 8x10 all the way in, too! (8x10 makes it difficult to shift though.)

Be aware that 2005 models are quite different from the 2003-2004 models. They got rid of most of the "bonus" stuff -- the roof rails, the second 12v outlet, and made the front end butt ugly in my opinion. In return, it's a little cheaper, and you can get a molded subwoofer for the back.

I'm at 73,000 miles on my 2003 and I've had zero problems that have required repairs done to it. Changed the tires, regular oil changes, and it's not let me down yet.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I am able to fit my entire gigging setup in the back seat of my truck. (2) 1X12 cabs, a 4 space shock rack, 2 basses in HSC, and a back pack full of crap. My back seat is a good size, but it's not really much bigger than most car back seats. As long as the seats fold down in the RSX, you should be fine. I was able to fit the same stuff in my Audi...hell I fit my 4X10 + 1X15 in my Audi's back seat when I picked it all up! They wouldn't fit in the trunk...