To BEAD or not to BEAD?

The Aardvark

• Members

That is the question.

I'm seriously considering restringing my bass BEAD. I almost never use the G-string ([bevis voice] huh huh, I said G-string[/bevis voice]) and I think I'd wind up actually using all four strings on my bass if I did this. UNLESS the B turned out to be just mud. I'm playing through a GK 700RB into a 2X15 right now but I'll soon change to a GK SBX4X10 and then later add a SBX1X15 to that. So, will I get a clear clean growl, or mud?

• Members

this is something i have mulled over for some time..

its a stop gap way to the 5'er school of playing...you learn the new positions but

imho...you will MISS that top G and the lovely melodic notes above the octave

my jump will be straight to a 5

at least i will have the 4 comfort zones to play in until i get 'acclimatised' to that wobbly thumb rest and all its ....goodie low notes..

just my..undecided.gif

• Members

Originally posted by The Aardvark

That is the question.

I'm seriously considering restringing my bass BEAD. I almost never use the G-string ([bevis voice] huh huh, I said G-string[/bevis voice]) and I think I'd wind up actually using all four strings on my bass if I did this. UNLESS the B turned out to be just mud. I'm playing through a GK 700RB into a 2X15 right now but I'll soon change to a GK SBX4X10 and then later add a SBX1X15 to that. So, will I get a clear clean growl, or mud?

Buy a 5 stringer Aardvarken.

• Members

mrcrow don't you play praise and worship?

Is it traditional hymms?

My 5 is an absolute must as was proven last night while working on/playing a new tune to me; Redeemer, Savior, Friend...thats one pretty song and using well placed crescendos in the deep end had me in goosebumps :cool:

• Members

Originally posted by Fran da Man

mrcrow don't you play praise and worship?

Is it traditional hymms?

My 5 is an absolute must as was proven last night while working on/playing a new tune to me; Redeemer, Savior, Friend...thats one pretty song and using well placed crescendos in the deep end had me in goosebumps
:cool:

yes old friend...i think i should be getting those low D's and C's...no to mention the B on some of our songs...

we dont do a lot of trad hymns but i do feel a fretted E at times would score better...

i use the top G more now to melodise some riffs and make them sort of impromptu figures..

this is ongoing and i feel now with our exchange i may be really ready for the 5 string

• Members

Originally posted by mrcrow

yes old friend...i think i should be getting those low D's and C's...no to mention the B on some of our songs...

we dont do a lot of trad hymns but i do feel a fretted E at times would score better...

i use the top G more now to melodise some riffs and make them sort of impromptu figures..

this is ongoing and i feel now with our exchange i may be really ready for the 5 string

Good for you mrcrow, i hope a 5 will be a good fit for you. They're not for everybody though, takes some getting used to; i'll have to figure you've play a few here and there?

I'll send you a pm of some of our songs we do...most unfamilar folks can't believe it's PW. :cool:

I used to d/l alot of them on winmx but the RIAA shut it down.

I use verticalmusic.com to hear some.

By top G you mean G on the E?

edit: having those 5 extra notes plus a fretted E adds a whole new dimension to the bass and rythm end.

• Members

I say DO IT! I'm preparing to do it. I use my 5er all the time, but I just feel more comfortable with a 4 string. I don't use the G string, but use the low C and D constantly. I get too much in the guitar register and my sound gets lost when I play too much in the upper register. I'd like to do it to my old Peavey, but the neck is too narrow. I'll need to get an older P and J bass or go the SX route.

• Members

Originally posted by chubrocker

I say DO IT! I'm preparing to do it. I use my 5er all the time, but I just feel more comfortable with a 4 string. I don't use the G string, but use the low C and D constantly. I get too much in the guitar register and my sound gets lost when I play too much in the upper register. I'd like to do it to my old Peavey, but the neck is too narrow. I'll need to get an older P and J bass or go the SX route.

FYI, the a typical BEAD string setup puts slightly LESS tention on the neck than a EADG setup.

• Members

Way back in the day before 5 strings were common I tuned one of my Aria Pro II's to BEAD so that I could play the low D. It worked pretty well for me for a long time but I'm going to have to echo Wendy on this one and say go for a 5 string. Once I got my first 5 string in 1990 I realized how nice it was to have the G string back so almost all the basses that I've bought since then have been 5 strings.

• Members

Originally posted by zachoff

I had trouble setting intonation dropping to D. I don't think it would be possible on most basses to drop to B and be properly intonated.

When I dropped my P bass to BEAD a few weeks ago, I had to adjust the intonation. It took a little patience, but I got it.

• Members

Originally posted by zachoff

I had trouble setting intonation dropping to D. I don't think it would be possible on most basses to drop to B and be properly intonated.

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about downtuning, I'm talking about re-stringing using the BEAD strings from a 5-string bass set. :)

• Members

Originally posted by The Aardvark

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about downtuning, I'm talking about re-stringing using the BEAD strings from a 5-string bass set.
:)

If you're currently strung eadg you'll still need to re-intonate... Hopefully you won't run out of room at the saddle. I almost did dropping from E to D.

• Members

I am kind of interested in this too. I have a American Jazz bass and I have a couple packs of 5-string bass strings. In order to go "B" what would I need to do? Would I have to have the nut re-slotted? Would the neck hold up under the extra tension?

• Members

Originally posted by Ripfence

I am kind of interested in this too. I have a American Jazz bass and I have a couple packs of 5-string bass strings. In order to go "B" what would I need to do? Would I have to have the nut re-slotted? Would the neck hold up under the extra tension?

You have to cut the nut, so to go back you might need to replace it. (I "V" cut the nut on the T-40, and it still works for EADG fine). There will probably be less tension, not more, on the neck.

Archived