Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

The absolute best sounding bass distortion pedal?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The absolute best sounding bass distortion pedal?

Ok, I'm mainly a guitar player, but I'm doing a new project where I play bass. I've read some previous threads, but they don't really answer my question.

Here's what I'm working with...

bass :
    US Fender Jazz with Aero Design pickups

amp :
    vintage Ampeg SVT into a vintage Ampeg 8x10 cab
    vintage Hiwatt DR201 into an Ampeg 2x15 cab
    (ABYed)

I've tried a vintage MXR Distortion + and a Fulltone OCD. Both sound small when engaged. I'm looking for a huge sounding, wave of distortion. NOT A FUZZ.

Everyone seems to say that the Fulltone Bass Drive is the best, however I've had two Fulltone Full Drives and I never liked the tones I got out of them. Is there something better out there?

I'm looking for the best, regardless of the price.
    If you have your gear listed here you are still an ****************************.

The best disto I've ever got was through a Bass Pod Pro. Not a pedal, but still the best sounding to me.
    1990 Squier P Deluxe, 2000 Reverend Rumblefish XL, 1978 Yamaha BB800, 2009 Ibanez JTK
    ?? Fender Bassman 135 w/Fender 2x15
    199x Yorkville 400B 1x15
    1990 Squier Fat Strat, 2003 Squier 72 Tele Custom, 2008 Yamaha CPX700
    Peavey Max100, USA Big Muff, Boss TU2

it would rule to login, get some coffee, look at what's scheduled for the day then sip coffee and look at boobs for awihle - corpo

Comment

A lot of people who use bass distortion will have one rig running clean and a second one dirty.. since you've got two stacks to work with, try that out. Otherwise, crank that SVT A lot of people do like the Fulltone Bass Drive; I never played it myself. I get just enough dirt from my Sansamp BDDI (think Motorhead). What kind of sound are you really going for, any references?
      www.FreetheHops.org

Comment

http://users3.ev1.net/~woodd/godzilla.wav
        Well, I'm not sure how much I can respect any man who takes Lug seriously - King Kashue
        Sucking like that is a gift. You couldn't recognize the genius of Suck if it sat on your face and farted. -S400
        You don't fix Lug's posts. Lug's posts fix you. - MrJoshua
        You can be my HCBF boyfriend forever. - Sugarskull

Comment

For me, it's the Boss ODB-3, but I know there's a lot of guys here who would disagree.

Distortion is personal. You'll have to get out there and try some.
          Me! Band!

Official Concubine of the Kingdom of Suck and Herald of Galactus

R.I.P. John Peel, 30th August 1939 - 26th October 2004

I have CDO. That's OCD, but in alphabetical order. Like it should be.

"I know I believe in nothing but it is my nothing...
          If you stand up like a nail then you will be knocked down
          I've been too honest with myself I should have lied like everybody else." Manic Street Preachers
          "Chocolate Melanie since 1911" The Slogan Maker Web****************e
          "Everything a woman does, she has to do twice as well as a man to be considered half as good. Fortunately, this is not difficult."
          "Immerse your soul in love" Radiohead
          "Prejudice is a burden which confuses the past, threatens the future, and renders the present inaccessible." Maya Angelou
          "Just out of curiosity, IS there a difference between a man and a pig?" S'Lou
          "Mel's right" musical_lucidity
          "I hate long sigs." Bag_End
          "Youth is a wonderful thing. What a crime to waste it on children." George Bernard Shaw

Winner of the Bonoman Post of the Day Award 30th May 2003, 16th April 2004 and Runner Up 19th August 2003
          Winner of the allan grossman Quite possibly the best post of the day award, 5th November 2003
          Funkee1 MP3 o' de day 10th March 2004, 3rd May 2004 and 26th October 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Melanie
            For me, it's the Boss ODB-3, but I know there's a lot of guys here who would disagree.

Distortion is personal. You'll have to get out there and try some.

I had that same pedal for awhile. Used it a bunch. Then it fell apart.. still works though!
            My gear:

JBP Artist 5 string (MiK)
            Peavy AlphaBass
            Peavy 4x12

Personal Myspace-
            http://www.myspace.com/rippinheadz

Comment

There is no best sounding distortion as ou should allready know. Just as some guitar players prefer Marshall and some prefer Messa etc. Also, some pups dont work as well with a given distortion as others. Same as some guitarists prefer humbuckers and some single coils. Some bass pups to me are just lousy for overdrive or distortion to me, such as stock Ibanez P & J pups.

Myself prefers the OD's on the older Zoom Player units and the newer gfx series. For seperate pedals, the Marshall OD pedals along with Proco Rat and MXR Bad Monkey work pretty well. Another thing that can drastically improve wall of Overdrive or distortion with bass is a 6-10 band eq after the OD or Distortion.

I'd reccomend other then Ampeg amps myself cause I find their sound weak esp with lower notes. Something that just plain eliminates the ability to get great wall of sound OD or dist to my ears.

So, getting great distortion with bassist that diffthen with guitar. Requires suitable bassand sutable bass pups and suitable OD/Dist and suitable amp.

Easiest setup I've foud for great heavy OD & Distis basswith soapbar pups instead of P or J pups. Plus seperate multieffect unit whose OD or Dist you really like set up for direct recording and played thru clean amp. In this way your great OD/Distisnt amp depedant, & good clean amp wont degrade the created tone like for example I find ampeg does. But its personal likes just like with guitar and OD/Dist.
              Life for its own carnal pleasure.Synths: Novation KS4 & Maudio Venom. Guitar: BC Rich It Warlock.. Bass: BC Rich Warlock. Sight: Aerial lasers by Omnisistem & Chauvet,. Geometric lasers by Extreme.

Comment

I'd try the rig with the heads the other way around too, the SVT into the 215 and the Hiwatt in the 810. It couldn't hurt and it might sound better. Or maybe get a smaller head, like a V-4 or something.

And P-basses never hurt too!
                "Some men see things as they are and say why - I dream things that never were and say why not."-- George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Holy God, you have an expensive rig for someone whose second instrument is bass!
                  '91 MIJ Fender Precision '62 RI w/ Lindy Fralins
                  EBS Multicomp
                  Ashdown ABM 500 EVO II (Made in England)
                  Aguilar DB112NT

Comment

o crap you said pedal

hhmm L Ron Hoover likes his Fulltone Bassdriver.
                    "Some men see things as they are and say why - I dream things that never were and say why not."-- George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I'm pretty happy with my Tube Works Blue Tube.
                      Matt

Thumper Sucks so bad I consider him my protégé-Lug
                      Funniest Comment than might get your ass whupped-King Kashue
                      Attention Whore-T-broom
                      I can fix that with a hammer-Jannda
                      Can you ban Thumper next?-BOALG
                      grossest 'almost hit on' post towards another forumite ever! award-Sugarskull
                      Post hoc, ergo propter Thumper, the Forum Slayer.-The Lurker

Comment

I dig my fulltone
                        President of the HCBF "DEATH TO FALSE METAL!" ClubOriginally posted by Burdizzos- What's the difference between B-Bottom and a Dildo?A dildo was good enough to be in Phoenix Rizin'

Comment

I dig my fulltone too, but it seems like you have the tools (cranked ampeg and aby) to do the job.

Yo.
                          Myspace * Need some pedal board Velcro? * Clips and Songs
                          ***Looking for a black SWR 2x12***

Comment

There really isn't an artists sound I'm going for. I'd like a tidal wave of sound and right now I'm just getting a garden hose.

I want more gain than that of the cranked amps.
                            If you have your gear listed here you are still an ****************************.

Comment

http://users3.ev1.net/~woodd/phatpan.mp3

??
                              Well, I'm not sure how much I can respect any man who takes Lug seriously - King Kashue
                              Sucking like that is a gift. You couldn't recognize the genius of Suck if it sat on your face and farted. -S400
                              You don't fix Lug's posts. Lug's posts fix you. - MrJoshua
                              You can be my HCBF boyfriend forever. - Sugarskull

Comment

Working...
                              X