SX replacement pick-ups...

Mike in Utica

• Members

I dropped a set of Fender Vintage '60s pups n my SX Jazz with no mods. Any standard J-pup should drop right in.

Some SX J-basses have a weird neck pup route---it's larger than a normal J route. SX has offered a few basses with a P/J pup set up on a J body, so don't freak out when you pull the pickguard. The big route is normal.

• Members

Originally posted by Thumper

I dropped a set of Fender Vintage '60s pups n my SX Jazz with no mods. Any standard J-pup should drop right in.

Some SX J-basses have a weird neck pup route---it's larger than a normal J route. SX has offered a few basses with a P/J pup set up on a J body, so don't freak out when you pull the pickguard. The big route is normal.

and it sucks, do you think if enough people wrote to Essex they would stop routing out such a big route.

• Members

Originally posted by Thumper

T

Thanks a bunch. Are all of their p/ups the same size? Meaning, do you think the "noiseless" p/ups would also drop right in the body

• Members

Originally posted by Mike in Albany

T

Thanks a bunch. Are all of their p/ups the same size? Meaning, do you think the "noiseless" p/ups would also drop right in the body

The difference in most 'noiseless' Jazz pups is that a second humbucking coil is stacked beneath the top coil. The length and width are the same as a standard J pup, but the depth might be greater on a noiseless pup.

I'd suggest comparing specs at the manufacturer's websites to make sure the dimensions will work for your bass.

Archived