cabs

xratic

• Members

I recommend going with a ported design. I built a very good 15" cab with a Peavey Scorpion 15" and a 6" front port. Pretty punchy considering that speaker isn't the greatest bass guitar speaker available.

My box is 27"t x 26"w x 18"d. When it comes to most 15's the bigger the box, the better.

My suggestion? OK!

Pick up a Dayton PF385 woofer

Use the same dimensions I gave you above, which is a fairly standard sized cab, and build it out of 3/4" plywood. Put a 6" port in the front or back, your choice (I prefer front-ported cabs) and cut the port 2.75" long.

This speaker in that cab will get you down to about 50hz flat, with an f3 of about 40hz. Nice low B response, pretty loud, too.

I'd avoid building a sealed 15", simply because your not going to get the low end thump you're probably looking for. It'll fart out on you on an open E, and it won't get as loud as you'll want it. A tuned ported design is going to give you FAR better low end extension.

Here's the one I built:

1x15002.jpg

C7

• Members

Originally posted by ToeJamFootball

aww i only kid
:)

nice bass!, but whats that
thing
on the left??

:D

That thing on the left is my rig's punching bag/tackling dummy.:D

Oh, and I forgot to mention. I played this cab for about 9 months with no bracing or foam in it, and it sounded pretty good. I decided to brace the baffle to the back and the top to the bottom, in the center of each aspect, or as close as possible. It made a WORLD of difference in tightening up my low mids.:thu:

C7

• Members

Originally posted by Crescent Seven

I recommend going with a ported design. I built a very good When it comes to most 15's the bigger the box, the better.

I agree - my 115 is a cab made by Paradise Soundworks many years ago, and it puts out more sound than any other 115 I've ever heard - coincidely, it's the largest 115 I've ever seen, as well... Loaded with a 15" Black Widow, this thing flat out kicks ass - paired up with my 410 TXF, and it breaks stuff, and makes guitarists cry - hahaha!!!

- georgestrings

• Members

Originally posted by georgestrings

I agree - my 115 is a cab made by Paradise Soundworks many years ago, and it puts out more sound than any other 115 I've ever heard - coincidely, it's the largest 115 I've ever seen, as well... Loaded with a 15" Black Widow, this thing flat out kicks ass - paired up with my 410 TXF, and it breaks stuff, and makes guitarists cry - hahaha!!!

- georgestrings

I think alot of people want to build a 1x15 as a compact cab, but then they want it to be loud and low as well. I wanted these things when I decided to build mine, but was shown the Light and the Way.:D

C7

• Members

Wow, 6" Port tube. Would two 3" Port tubes work OK?

What's to stop some little {censored} from climbing in there and taking a nap? :D

If you dimed the amp and popped an open B, the damn cab would be full of fur and cat piss! :evil:

It is impossible to remove the smell of cat piss and it is the most corrosive naturally occuring substance known to man. :freak:

Which means you need to coat the cab interior with polyurethane.

But how can you protect the driver?

• Members

Originally posted by walkerci

Wow, 6" Port tube. Would two 3" Port tubes work OK?

What's to stop some little {censored} from climbing in there and taking a nap?
:D

If you dimed the amp and popped an open B, the damn cab would be full of fur and cat piss!
:evil:

It is impossible to remove the smell of cat piss and it is the most corrosive naturally occuring substance known to man.
:freak:

Which means you need to coat the cab interior with polyurethane.

But how can you protect the driver?

You can use smaller ports but they are more prone to port noise. If you don't want a critter in your cab, put a small bar across the port in the back...

C7

• Members

Originally posted by ToeJamFootball

GHETTO!

I'd say 'ghetto' too, but in a "Da-yum, that's a nice pimped-out '73 El Dorado ragtop you got there, hommes" kinda way.

So, 'ghetto' as in kinda gaudy but very, very nice. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Crescent Seven

I recommend going with a ported design. I built a very good 15" cab with a Peavey Scorpion 15" and a 6" front port. Pretty punchy considering that speaker isn't the greatest bass guitar speaker available.

My box is 27"t x 26"w x 18"d. When it comes to most 15's the bigger the box, the better.

My suggestion? OK!

Pick up a
Dayton PF385 woofer

Use the same dimensions I gave you above, which is a fairly standard sized cab, and build it out of 3/4" plywood. Put a 6" port in the front or back, your choice (I prefer front-ported cabs) and cut the port 2.75" long.

This speaker in that cab will get you down to about 50hz flat, with an f3 of about 40hz. Nice low B response, pretty loud, too.

I'd avoid building a sealed 15", simply because your not going to get the low end thump you're probably looking for. It'll fart out on you on an open E, and it won't get as loud as you'll want it. A tuned ported design is going to give you FAR better low end extension.

Here's the one I built:

1x15002.jpg
C7

That'd be sweet if you wore a bowling shirt to match your cab!

Archived