No announcement yet.

cabs

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cabs

I want to build a good bass cab to drop a 15" into. Anybody have any blueprints for a good sealed design they'd like to share?

Bump for Burdizzos!
    Play more bass.

Comment

Just buy an Acme box and be happy. Best bass boxes I have heard. http://www.acmebass.com

Comment

2 acme posts in less than 5 mins? do you work for them or just spam for them in your free time?

now to be on topic, check out this thread
        http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1073643
        Hidden stuff is fun!

WTB: George L's 90 degree jacks (.155 Wire) - if you got some extra, PM me with an offer.

Comment

I recommend going with a ported design. I built a very good 15" cab with a Peavey Scorpion 15" and a 6" front port. Pretty punchy considering that speaker isn't the greatest bass guitar speaker available.

My box is 27"t x 26"w x 18"d. When it comes to most 15's the bigger the box, the better.

My suggestion? OK!

Pick up a Dayton PF385 woofer

Use the same dimensions I gave you above, which is a fairly standard sized cab, and build it out of 3/4" plywood. Put a 6" port in the front or back, your choice (I prefer front-ported cabs) and cut the port 2.75" long.
          This speaker in that cab will get you down to about 50hz flat, with an f3 of about 40hz. Nice low B response, pretty loud, too.
          I'd avoid building a sealed 15", simply because your not going to get the low end thump you're probably looking for. It'll fart out on you on an open E, and it won't get as loud as you'll want it. A tuned ported design is going to give you FAR better low end extension.

Here's the one I built:

C7
          Subliminal aggression - C7 has it. -Incubitabus

One time my gig bag and everything in it mysteriously got covered in urine while it was in my home. I want to blame the cats but my wife is crazy sometimes. -Davedblyoo

C7... HCBF's resident pompous dick with a claw hammer. -Hearafter
          Winner!! T-Broom's Inaugural HCBF Funny MF Award 10/6/06
          Winner!! Thumper's 'HCBF Gutter Poet' Award 6/17/07

"Oh my god...C7 You are so rock and roll, it's not even funny." -bassgirl9

Comment

Originally posted by Crescent Seven

Here's the one I built:

C7

GHETTO!

Comment

Originally posted by ToeJamFootball

GHETTO!

Eat a dick.

One time my gig bag and everything in it mysteriously got covered in urine while it was in my home. I want to blame the cats but my wife is crazy sometimes. -Davedblyoo

Comment

Eat a dick.

aww i only kid

nice bass!, but whats that thing on the left??

Comment

aww i only kid

nice bass!, but whats that thing on the left??

That thing on the left is my rig's punching bag/tackling dummy.

Oh, and I forgot to mention. I played this cab for about 9 months with no bracing or foam in it, and it sounded pretty good. I decided to brace the baffle to the back and the top to the bottom, in the center of each aspect, or as close as possible. It made a WORLD of difference in tightening up my low mids.
                  C7

Comment

I recommend going with a ported design. I built a very good When it comes to most 15's the bigger the box, the better.

I agree - my 115 is a cab made by Paradise Soundworks many years ago, and it puts out more sound than any other 115 I've ever heard - coincidely, it's the largest 115 I've ever seen, as well... Loaded with a 15" Black Widow, this thing flat out kicks ass - paired up with my 410 TXF, and it breaks stuff, and makes guitarists cry - hahaha!!!

- georgestrings

Comment

Originally posted by georgestrings

I agree - my 115 is a cab made by Paradise Soundworks many years ago, and it puts out more sound than any other 115 I've ever heard - coincidely, it's the largest 115 I've ever seen, as well... Loaded with a 15" Black Widow, this thing flat out kicks ass - paired up with my 410 TXF, and it breaks stuff, and makes guitarists cry - hahaha!!!

- georgestrings

I think alot of people want to build a 1x15 as a compact cab, but then they want it to be loud and low as well. I wanted these things when I decided to build mine, but was shown the Light and the Way.
                      C7

Comment

Wow, 6" Port tube. Would two 3" Port tubes work OK?

What's to stop some little pussy from climbing in there and taking a nap?

If you dimed the amp and popped an open B, the damn cab would be full of fur and cat piss!

It is impossible to remove the smell of cat piss and it is the most corrosive naturally occuring substance known to man.

Which means you need to coat the cab interior with polyurethane.
                        But how can you protect the driver?
                        "If you don't feel like dancing when you play, neither will anyone else." Bassgeek

Musicman StingRay 5 Fretless H Piezo / G&L L2500 MIA / Reverend Rumblefish 5XL
                        Reverend Rumblefish 5L FS PM
                        Epiphone Les Paul
                        Mesa Boogie 400+ (backup amp)
                        Hughes & Kettner Fortress / QSC PLX 1804 / Bergantino NV412
                        Eden WT800B / Peavey 215
                        Markbass Little Mark II (backup amp)
                        Eden Nemesis ENX-260 / Mesa Boogie PH112 / Mesa Boogie PH112

Comment

Originally posted by walkerci
                          Wow, 6" Port tube. Would two 3" Port tubes work OK?

What's to stop some little pussy from climbing in there and taking a nap?

If you dimed the amp and popped an open B, the damn cab would be full of fur and cat piss!

It is impossible to remove the smell of cat piss and it is the most corrosive naturally occuring substance known to man.

Which means you need to coat the cab interior with polyurethane.
                          But how can you protect the driver?

You can use smaller ports but they are more prone to port noise. If you don't want a critter in your cab, put a small bar across the port in the back...
                          C7

Comment

GHETTO!

I'd say 'ghetto' too, but in a "Da-yum, that's a nice pimped-out '73 El Dorado ragtop you got there, hommes" kinda way.

So, 'ghetto' as in kinda gaudy but very, very nice.
                            Matt

Thumper Sucks so bad I consider him my protégé-Lug
                            Funniest Comment than might get your ass whupped-King Kashue
                            Attention Whore-T-broom
                            I can fix that with a hammer-Jannda
                            Can you ban Thumper next?-BOALG
                            grossest 'almost hit on' post towards another forumite ever! award-Sugarskull
                            Post hoc, ergo propter Thumper, the Forum Slayer.-The Lurker

Comment

I recommend going with a ported design. I built a very good 15" cab with a Peavey Scorpion 15" and a 6" front port. Pretty punchy considering that speaker isn't the greatest bass guitar speaker available.

My box is 27"t x 26"w x 18"d. When it comes to most 15's the bigger the box, the better.

My suggestion? OK!

Pick up a Dayton PF385 woofer

Use the same dimensions I gave you above, which is a fairly standard sized cab, and build it out of 3/4" plywood. Put a 6" port in the front or back, your choice (I prefer front-ported cabs) and cut the port 2.75" long.
                              This speaker in that cab will get you down to about 50hz flat, with an f3 of about 40hz. Nice low B response, pretty loud, too.
                              I'd avoid building a sealed 15", simply because your not going to get the low end thump you're probably looking for. It'll fart out on you on an open E, and it won't get as loud as you'll want it. A tuned ported design is going to give you FAR better low end extension.

Here's the one I built:

C7

That'd be sweet if you wore a bowling shirt to match your cab!
                              Yamaha RBX1000 with EMG P/J set and BQC system
                              Fender Mustang Reissue
                              Boss TU-2, GEB-7, CEB-3
                              Genz Benz GBE600
                              SWR Son of Bertha (1x15)

Winner BPOTD: 04/22/2004 and one sometime circa 2003
                              Winner Funkee1 (a.k.a. bassgeek) MP3 of the day: 04/02/2004

Comment

Working...
                              X