sound city bass 150 amp

rob83

• Members

Prices for Sound City amps are all over the place. I've seen mint ones advertised in the $1000 range (not that they actually sold for that) but generally I'd figure closer to 600 would be average for one that may be cosmetically rough but needing no work. That's just my guess, I could be wrong! My X188 is a super rare bass head that is pretty close to a 150 in specs but has a different preamp and some tweaks here and there. It has a nice clean sound, lots of bass, but doesn't stay clean as you turn it up. If you need to go loud, you'd better like overdrive. It won't quite keep up with my guitarist, but then I don't have efficient cabs and the lunatic guitarist uses 2 amps and 10 12" speakers. Probably be enough for most people.

The overdrive is killer, it's also a very nice guitar amp when it's cranked. Mine tested at 225 watts before breakup -- this was turned up 2/3 of full volume. I got a great deal on mine - Guitar Center basically paid me a couple hundred to take it off their hands.

• Members

Originally posted by fealach

Prices for Sound City amps are all over the place. I've seen mint ones advertised in the $1000 range (not that they actually sold for that) but generally I'd figure closer to 600 would be average for one that may be cosmetically rough but needing no work. That's just my guess, I could be wrong! My X188 is a super rare bass head that is pretty close to a 150 in specs but has a different preamp and some tweaks here and there. It has a nice clean sound, lots of bass, but doesn't stay clean as you turn it up. If you need to go loud, you'd better like overdrive. It won't quite keep up with my guitarist, but then I don't have efficient cabs and the lunatic guitarist uses 2 amps and 10 12" speakers. Probably be enough for most people.

The overdrive is killer, it's also a very nice guitar amp when it's cranked. Mine tested at 225 watts before breakup -- this was turned up 2/3 of full volume. I got a great deal on mine - Guitar Center basically paid me a couple hundred to take it off their hands.

:mad:

• Members

I own a B150 and it is a masterpiece. It can produce ANY sound that you need: deep and fat, midsy with growl, & slap tones even. I usually have the volume @ 1/2 which allows for clean fat low frequencies while driving the mids and highs a bit. If you want overdrive, you got it! The B150 is more of an instrument than an amp & it ALWAYS cuts through in recordings.

Here is my setup:

84 Ibanez Musician,

74 Ovation Magnum III -->

Sound City B150 (74) --> SWR Henry the 8x8 (serial# 197)

Here are some MP3s of a band I used to play with (Die Rockers Die):

Midrange w/ growl

http://dierockersdie.com/frames/av/DiE%20ROCKERS%20DiE%20-%20pasagdi%2002%20across%20the%20perspective.mp3

Harmonic leads

http://dierockersdie.com/frames/av/DiE%20ROCKERS%20DiE%20-%20oren%2001%20Paisley.mp3

Dubby sounds

http://dierockersdie.com/frames/av/DiE%20ROCKERS%20DiE%20-%20oren%2008%20Rock%20Music.mp3

• Members
Originally posted by bjordan

I own a B150 and it is a masterpiece.

cool, how much did you pay for it? i may be able to get one but i need a rough idea of what its worth. also what cab is good for it?

our bands just getting some decent gear together, for lead guitar weve got a soundcity 120 head through a marshall 4x12 which is amazing.

• Members

I got a B150 as well...what can I say...Tubelicious!!!Mine has the original GEC KT-88's....I actually like it better than my Hiwatt 200!I paid around 550...it previously belonged to Michael who administers the Sound City website.That my amp in the 150 pics....I'm a proud daddy.:wave:

• Members

I used to have an L150 in the mid-late 70s. It sure is a big-honking piece of tube amplification (6 El34s if memory serves right). Massively build and close to 80lbs. I actually played a gig where the thing caught on fire but still kept playing while it was burning (long story).

It was selected by a cash-strapped teenager (me) solely on the merit that it offered the most tube Watts per $$ that you could get by mail order. All in all it did an okay job but I'd rank it in the lower half of the bass rigs I've played. If you want to stay in the ancient realm, a Music Man HD130 is a MUCH better tube head.

• Members

Originally posted by boseengineer

It was selected by a cash-strapped teenager (me) solely on the merit that it offered the most tube Watts per $$ that you could get

this is actually true for me as well, ampegs and mesa boogies are way out of my price range, i could have got a jcm800 bass head but thats only 100w. i'll just have to keep a fire extinguisher close by.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Someone locally has a Sound City 150 for sale and he'll trade it for a YBA200 - which I have.

Deal or no deal? I like the Traynor but I hear the SC is amazing!

i'd say do it, but then again i'm a complete whore when it comes to gear. the {censored} i've passed along would make your head spin :D:D

• 6 months later...
  • Members

Hey,

I have a SC Bass 150 head for sale if anyone's interested.

It's in the UK (south west).

It hasn't been played (or switched on) in about 8 or 9 years (Moving to the big city and having 0 storage space means big heavy bass amps had to stay at my parents place), it's a bit rough round the edges cosmetically but last time I plugged a cabinet and an instrument into it and switched it on, it made a nice noise. However based on what I've read on various websites it'll need some minor work (capping, possibly redoing some wiring) before you'd want to consider using it as a main amp.

If anyone's interested, please drop me a PM or an email to voodoobass (at) gmail dot com :)

I'm going travelling in a few weeks and could really do with some extra spending money, so anyone getting in touch quickly with a sensible offer has a very good chance indeed - otherwise it's going on eBay.

• Members

My bad, Death Hands, it's my first post. I was actually trying to do some research on how much would be a fair price to ask for it when I stumbled apon this forum, and I saw since a couple of people in the thread such as

All I know is I WANT ONE!
:mad:

express interest in owning one, I thought I should mention that yeah, I have one, and yeah, if people are interested they can have it as much though I love having old tube amps round the house, I have to get it out of my mum's house sooner rather than later. Sorry if I pissed you off, but you could be a little less sensitive!

Or do you want me to post a classified then post a link to the classified ad in this thread?

Anyway, this doesn't really count as spam in my book. Spam would be if I posted on every thread in a forum with the same crappy message about how my amp head will make you more successful with women and stay hard longer etc etc. ;)

Nice of you to make me feel welcome though, thanks. How about "you might have more luck in the classifeds section"? Netiquette works both ways, and a response like that could put a thinner-skinned n00b than me off using the forum for anything ever again.

Cheers

:)

Archived