No announcement yet.

sound city bass 150 amp

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sound city bass 150 amp

anyone know anything about this amp? what it sounds like, what its worth? anyone got one?

All I know is I WANT ONE!
    ~Sean

listen?

be our friend?

Code:
    My rig:
    Rickenbacker 4003 >> Sunn 200s >> Custom Schroeder 4x12 (and ocassionally another Sunn 2x15)
    /
    Morley Bad Horsie II Wah
    /
    Sunn Sceptre >> Sunn 2x15 (Loaded with Weber Ceramic Thames & Chicago 15s)

Originally Posted by bassesofalessergod

one thing that can be said about the Ox.

He is the keeper of the flame of rock and roll for sure!

Originally Posted by Kindness

I the Ox.

Comment

Prices for Sound City amps are all over the place. I've seen mint ones advertised in the $1000 range (not that they actually sold for that) but generally I'd figure closer to 600 would be average for one that may be cosmetically rough but needing no work. That's just my guess, I could be wrong! My X188 is a super rare bass head that is pretty close to a 150 in specs but has a different preamp and some tweaks here and there. It has a nice clean sound, lots of bass, but doesn't stay clean as you turn it up. If you need to go loud, you'd better like overdrive. It won't quite keep up with my guitarist, but then I don't have efficient cabs and the lunatic guitarist uses 2 amps and 10 12" speakers. Probably be enough for most people.

The overdrive is killer, it's also a very nice guitar amp when it's cranked. Mine tested at 225 watts before breakup -- this was turned up 2/3 of full volume. I got a great deal on mine - Guitar Center basically paid me a couple hundred to take it off their hands.

Comment

Originally posted by fealach
        Prices for Sound City amps are all over the place. I've seen mint ones advertised in the $1000 range (not that they actually sold for that) but generally I'd figure closer to 600 would be average for one that may be cosmetically rough but needing no work. That's just my guess, I could be wrong! My X188 is a super rare bass head that is pretty close to a 150 in specs but has a different preamp and some tweaks here and there. It has a nice clean sound, lots of bass, but doesn't stay clean as you turn it up. If you need to go loud, you'd better like overdrive. It won't quite keep up with my guitarist, but then I don't have efficient cabs and the lunatic guitarist uses 2 amps and 10 12" speakers. Probably be enough for most people.

The overdrive is killer, it's also a very nice guitar amp when it's cranked. Mine tested at 225 watts before breakup -- this was turned up 2/3 of full volume. I got a great deal on mine - Guitar Center basically paid me a couple hundred to take it off their hands.

~Sean

listen?

be our friend?

Code:
        My rig:
        Rickenbacker 4003 >> Sunn 200s >> Custom Schroeder 4x12 (and ocassionally another Sunn 2x15)
        /
        Morley Bad Horsie II Wah
        /
        Sunn Sceptre >> Sunn 2x15 (Loaded with Weber Ceramic Thames & Chicago 15s)

Originally Posted by bassesofalessergod

one thing that can be said about the Ox.

He is the keeper of the flame of rock and roll for sure!

Originally Posted by Kindness

I the Ox.

Comment

I played a Sound City 120 guitar amp in the late '70s. It killed for a nice clean, bright tone with just the right helping of dirt.

I've heard the 150 is similar, but louder. I'm keeping my eyes open for one, too.
          Matt

Thumper Sucks so bad I consider him my protégé-Lug
          Funniest Comment than might get your ass whupped-King Kashue
          Attention Whore-T-broom
          I can fix that with a hammer-Jannda
          Can you ban Thumper next?-BOALG
          grossest 'almost hit on' post towards another forumite ever! award-Sugarskull
          Post hoc, ergo propter Thumper, the Forum Slayer.-The Lurker

Comment

I own a B150 and it is a masterpiece. It can produce ANY sound that you need: deep and fat, midsy with growl, & slap tones even. I usually have the volume @ 1/2 which allows for clean fat low frequencies while driving the mids and highs a bit. If you want overdrive, you got it! The B150 is more of an instrument than an amp & it ALWAYS cuts through in recordings.

Here is my setup:

84 Ibanez Musician,
            74 Ovation Magnum III -->

Sound City B150 (74) --> SWR Henry the 8x8 (serial# 197)

Here are some MP3s of a band I used to play with (Die Rockers Die):

Midrange w/ growl
            http://dierockersdie.com/frames/av/DiE%20ROCKERS%20DiE%20-%20pasagdi%2002%20across%20the%20perspective.mp3

Harmonic leads
            http://dierockersdie.com/frames/av/DiE%20ROCKERS%20DiE%20-%20oren%2001%20Paisley.mp3

Dubby sounds
            http://dierockersdie.com/frames/av/DiE%20ROCKERS%20DiE%20-%20oren%2008%20Rock%20Music.mp3

Comment

Welcome to the Forum!

Nice gear, by the way. You lucky bastage.
              Matt

Thumper Sucks so bad I consider him my protégé-Lug
              Funniest Comment than might get your ass whupped-King Kashue
              Attention Whore-T-broom
              I can fix that with a hammer-Jannda
              Can you ban Thumper next?-BOALG
              grossest 'almost hit on' post towards another forumite ever! award-Sugarskull
              Post hoc, ergo propter Thumper, the Forum Slayer.-The Lurker

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bjordan
                I own a B150 and it is a masterpiece.

cool, how much did you pay for it? i may be able to get one but i need a rough idea of what its worth. also what cab is good for it?

our bands just getting some decent gear together, for lead guitar weve got a soundcity 120 head through a marshall 4x12 which is amazing.

Comment

I got a B150 as well...what can I say...Tubelicious!!!Mine has the original GEC KT-88's....I actually like it better than my Hiwatt 200!I paid around 550...it previously belonged to Michael who administers the Sound City website.That my amp in the 150 pics....I'm a proud daddy.
                  love is just a shot away.........

Comment

Originally posted by The Ox
                    All I know is I WANT ONE!

+1
                    "Some men see things as they are and say why - I dream things that never were and say why not."-- George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I have a 120 PA: 6 input channels, meant for PA purposes but does a great job at bass. 6 EL 34's make for a lot of tube power.
                      I paid only 120 euros for it: 1 euro per all-tube watt.

Comment

well won me a b150 on ebay got into a showdown but managed to whip it away at the last min for

Comment

Originally posted by rob83
                          well won me a b150 on ebay got into a showdown but managed to whip it away at the last min for
                          "Some men see things as they are and say why - I dream things that never were and say why not."-- George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I used to have an L150 in the mid-late 70s. It sure is a big-honking piece of tube amplification (6 El34s if memory serves right). Massively build and close to 80lbs. I actually played a gig where the thing caught on fire but still kept playing while it was burning (long story).

It was selected by a cash-strapped teenager (me) solely on the merit that it offered the most tube Watts per $$ that you could get by mail order. All in all it did an okay job but I'd rank it in the lower half of the bass rigs I've played. If you want to stay in the ancient realm, a Music Man HD130 is a MUCH better tube head.

Comment

Originally posted by boseengineer

It was selected by a cash-strapped teenager (me) solely on the merit that it offered the most tube Watts per $$ that you could get

this is actually true for me as well, ampegs and mesa boogies are way out of my price range, i could have got a jcm800 bass head but thats only 100w. i'll just have to keep a fire extinguisher close by.

Comment

• Working...
                                X