Replacing SX SJB-75 nut with Tusq

FastRedPonyCar

• Members

My SX SJB-75 came a few days ago and surprisingly it's much better than I thought a $150 bass could be.

I took the advice of other SX owners and ordered some upgrades for it. gotoh bridge, new pots/jack and a tusq nut.

The nut came yesterday and holding it next to the one on the guitar, I'm wondering if there could be a problem. I got the one that is pre-slotted for replacements on Fender Jazz bass guitars. The guy at graphtech said he would send the one that fits the SX basses which apparently they sell a lot of. I took his word that he knew what he was doing.

When I hold this tusq nut next to the one on the guitar now, it appears that the grooves for the E and G strings on the tusq nut are slightly further apart from the two middle strings than on the factory nut. This means that the E and G strings will be closer to the edge of the fretboard but otherwise, the nut appears to be the same lenght across as the SX nut.

did the guy send the wrong one or does this bass require an unslotted nut to be custom cut or will this one work?

Archived