Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing SX SJB-75 nut with Tusq

My SX SJB-75 came a few days ago and surprisingly it's much better than I thought a $150 bass could be.

I took the advice of other SX owners and ordered some upgrades for it. gotoh bridge, new pots/jack and a tusq nut.

The nut came yesterday and holding it next to the one on the guitar, I'm wondering if there could be a problem. I got the one that is pre-slotted for replacements on Fender Jazz bass guitars. The guy at graphtech said he would send the one that fits the SX basses which apparently they sell a lot of. I took his word that he knew what he was doing.

When I hold this tusq nut next to the one on the guitar now, it appears that the grooves for the E and G strings on the tusq nut are slightly further apart from the two middle strings than on the factory nut. This means that the E and G strings will be closer to the edge of the fretboard but otherwise, the nut appears to be the same lenght across as the SX nut.

did the guy send the wrong one or does this bass require an unslotted nut to be custom cut or will this one work?
    Guitars
    Tokai LS150 - Sheptone Bryan Kahaek Signature pickups - Mystic Dream MM JP6 - G&L Comanche

Amps - Cabs
    Splawn "MUFASA" Nitro - Mako MAK4 Preamp - Jet City 100H w/JJ KT66's, 22H & Pico Valve - Whitebox Engineering 2x12, PortCity OS212 - Splawn 4X12

Kemper Profiling Amp - u mad?

Visit my music page

Watch my amp demo videos on Youtube

Member of the Jet Setters

Originally posted by FastRedPonyCar
    This means that the E and G strings will be closer to the edge of the fretboard

How close to the edges are we talkin' here?
    Yamaha BB3000MA (Green Satin)
    Hanewinckel Vintage Draken 5-string Kindness approved!!!
    Turbo Tuner ST-200
    Crown XLS 1500 Power Amp
    BBE BMAX Pre
    ART Pro Channel Pre
    Peavey Pro Bass 500 Head
    Low Down Sound 15/6.5 Cab
    Zoom B2.1u

Comment

i'll take a pic when I get home.
      Guitars
      Tokai LS150 - Sheptone Bryan Kahaek Signature pickups - Mystic Dream MM JP6 - G&L Comanche

Amps - Cabs
      Splawn "MUFASA" Nitro - Mako MAK4 Preamp - Jet City 100H w/JJ KT66's, 22H & Pico Valve - Whitebox Engineering 2x12, PortCity OS212 - Splawn 4X12

Visit my music page

Comment

I bet it'll be fine. Just slightly wider string spacing.
        ‚Äč"The United States is in no sense founded upon Christian Doctrine." Article 11, Treaty of Tripoli, signed into law by President John Adams, June 10, 1797
        "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God." Thomas Jefferson
        "The Bible is not my Book and Christianity is not my religion. I could never give assent to the long complicated statements of Christian dogma." Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Guitars

Amps - Cabs

Visit my music page

Comment

The E and G strings gonna be a PROBLEM for sure! The nuts to wide period. Its useless to you.

Comment

looks like a nut for a P.
              Basses:
              Peavey Millenium AC BXP, Hohner J-bass, Tanglewood Rebel 5K, Rose Morris EB0, Aria Pro fretless, Aria AMB50 acoustic
              Gig Rig:
              Ashdown MAG 300R, Peavey BW 1x15, Ashdown MAG 210T
              Practice Rig:
              Crate Powerblock, K&F 1x12, WEM ER40 spare amp
              My band: Angel Of Sin

Comment

did you try a wooden toothpick?
                good transactions with- 1923ford, kung-fool, AnalogMike

selling
                news-
                -I recorded LITTLE WING on reaper, with a line6 UX2 standard vocal preset, all sm58 mic-ing, stratocaster through AVT20, , brave voice dry, monte opto CS-3 compression on guitar.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndID=296081848

Comment

I figured it would be. I'll just send it back for an unslotted one I guess. My luthier can do the slotting.
                  Guitars

Amps - Cabs

Visit my music page

Comment

its for a different sized nut.

what benefits are there to replacing the nut with a graphite(besides the stock one is defeective)? i thought bone was the ****************.
                    good transactions with- 1923ford, kung-fool, AnalogMike

selling
                    news-
                    -I recorded LITTLE WING on reaper, with a line6 UX2 standard vocal preset, all sm58 mic-ing, stratocaster through AVT20, , brave voice dry, monte opto CS-3 compression on guitar.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndID=296081848

Comment

Working...
                    X