5 string ?

chiliguy

• Members
:):thu::wave: Hi people, I have returned to the bassafter 10 years off. 8 years on drums. The band im in has a singer/songwriter who seems to love Eminor and im always hitting my low E. I want to pedal and go lower but i dont see many 5 string pop /alt rock players. many guys seem to sell there 5 strings saying "its not my thing" Also, what about some of the ebay basses like washburn, hohner, or copley. They run 350-400$ are they ok, or are they beasts? opinions please.

• Members

For the 350-400 price range, I love my Cort Curbow. A little more expensive, but the only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't have a second pickup. Yamaha also makes the RBX375 which is an awesome bass, but very heavy. I would suggest you try before you buy, especially with the Yamaha.

• Members

I'm of the opinion every bassist should own atleast one 5er during their lifetime just to see if it's for them. While they do open up some very beneficial possibilities they also bring their share of problems. B-string tension, wider fretboard, and not all amps/cabs will handle the B well. Also strings will be considerably more expensive.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it just giving you something to chew on. The reason you gave about wanting to pedal in E is the perfect example of why 5ers are good. I have owned two 5ers in my time and they just weren't for me. That doesn't mean they won't be for you. I say go for it.

:thu:

• Members

I have a 5 string for the same reasons you are stating. Our group, Grace On Fire, a praise group, plays a lot in Eb. I don't like tuning down so the 5 string is perfect. I don't worry about my amp handling the low B because I rarely, rarely go below the low D. Also, playing in E and F is easier since I don't like playing open string notes. It's there when I need it, but many times I'm using it as a thumb rest!:) I don't understand the dislike many people have for the 5. I guess it's personal preference. I love mine because it offers me more sound and fingering options and is perfect for the music our group plays.

Merry Christmas,

Johnny

• Members

Originally posted by TELCO1

How do you like your Douglas 6 string? I'm just starting to look into 6 string basses.

Lawrie

Right now, as far as basses go, my Douglas is my baby. I bought it from Rondo's store while trying out the WEB-846 (it was $169, last one in black) straight off the floor. I loved the finish and overall feel of the 846 but the string spacing at the bridge felt tight. I then saw the WOB-826. I had never seen it on the web site, and found out when i got home that it went up that day. I actually prefer the HB's on the WOB and the body has grown on me.

I now also have a Brice HXB-406 that I got at the Rondo store closing sale for 50% off sale, so it was actually less expensive than the Douglas. Even with the 35 inch scale and string thru body, the Douglas spanks the Brice in the sound department, IMO. The active electronics are just more versatile/better on the WOB, IMO!

Archived