HELP in choosing the best multifx/amp simulator floorboard?

Sleepin' Deeper

• Members

Please give me opinions on the Boss, Roland, Line 6, Toneworks and Digitech units? Any others?

Price is not an issue - I want the best one. Main criteria: 1. Tone, 2. Wide array of sounds / fx 3. User friendly interface.

I'm thinking about the Line 6 Pod XT live...how do the others compare?

Thanks folks.

Bass

• Members

Well I got my grubby paws on a pod xt for geetar just recently and i can happily say it is THE best multi effects digital thingie Ive ever had or used.

Its easy to use, the sims and effects are good, I cant tell you wether they sound exactly like the units they model, but I dont really care... they sound good.

The quality of the actual unit is great!

Sturdy and solid and it has worked every time.

I would recommend this to any one.

I wouldnt bother with one for bass tho.

• Members

My brother got me the Bass PODxt (the "bean" one, not the floorboard version), and it is definitely pretty slick.

If you don't need the guitar stuff, the Bass version probably is worth getting, since it already has the bass amps on it (which you'd have to pay $99 for with the regular PODxt), and also has bass effects that are unique to the Bass PODxt. I also had asked Line6 about it, and they mentioned that some of the other hardware features of the Bass PODxt are worth it, again if you don't need to use it with a guitar too.

Also, I've read of some issues with the non-bass PODxt having some trouble with active basses.

• Members

THe best thing to have between your bass and yur amp would be a cable, mybe a tuner, and another cable.... just kidding.

I haven't messed with floorboard/modeling stuff, but I've heard a lot of good about POD, except my tech says that he sees way too much line 6 gear in his shop...

• Members

The Line 6 PodXT Live is the modeling multi to beat. You can get the guitar version (more effects) used and then buy the bass plug in from Line 6 and get two boards in one.

Yes. The two things Line6 pointed out to me when I asked them about this (i.e. what's the difference between getting a PODxt Live and buying the bass expansion pack for it, or buying to the Bass PODxt Live), was that the bass expansion pack only includes the amps, not the effects, and that it lacks some hardware features, specifically the inputs/outputs (don't remember exactly, but I think it was this:

The MODEL connector gives you the fully processed Amp+Cab+Effects+Mic signal generated by Bass PODXT Live. The D.I. connector gives you an unprocessed time- and phase-aligned version of your signal.

Aside from that, I've read of people with the regular PODxt having clipping problems, especially with active basses.

But it really sounds like if you need something specifically for Bass, the Bass PODxt is the way to go; and if you really need to use the guitar stuff too, the PODxt + Bass Expansion pack will generally do the trick for the most part, with caveats.

• Members

The Korg AX-3000B beats the POD in all areas but models.

Line6 is very good at modeling.

Now Korg effects sound much more musical, are more tweakable, you can use more at the same time and there are more kinds, including some completely new concepts.

It's dead simple to use and thought with live use in mind. You can change all settings on the fly or configure it like a serie of individual pedals.

• Members

The Korg AX-3000B beats the POD in all areas but models.

Line6 is very good at modeling.

Now Korg effects sound much more musical, are more tweakable, you can use more at the same time and there are more kinds, including some completely new concepts.

It's dead simple to use and thought with live use in mind. You can change all settings on the fly or configure it like a serie of individual pedals.

+1

I got the AX-3000B before they dropped the price to $200. It was worth every penny then. It's a freaking steel now!

Archived