Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP in choosing the best multifx/amp simulator floorboard?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP in choosing the best multifx/amp simulator floorboard?

Please give me opinions on the Boss, Roland, Line 6, Toneworks and Digitech units? Any others?

Price is not an issue - I want the best one. Main criteria: 1. Tone, 2. Wide array of sounds / fx 3. User friendly interface.

I'm thinking about the Line 6 Pod XT live...how do the others compare?

Thanks folks.

Bass
    "Fear: Won't keep you from dying but sure as hell keep you from living!"

How much wood could the wood slapper whack off jack if the wood jacker spank off could shaft wood?

GEAR

Gibson SG STD HC
    Marshall JVM 205H
    Clavia Nord Lead 2x
    Roland SH 101
    MacPro with Fireface 400 running Ableton Live 8
    Effects 'n pedals 'n whatnot
    Sometimes use of additional whatnot

Well I got my grubby paws on a pod xt for geetar just recently and i can happily say it is THE best multi effects digital thingie Ive ever had or used.
    Its easy to use, the sims and effects are good, I cant tell you wether they sound exactly like the units they model, but I dont really care... they sound good.
    The quality of the actual unit is great!
    Sturdy and solid and it has worked every time.
    I would recommend this to any one.
    I wouldnt bother with one for bass tho.
    Gear: German Upright > K&K Pickup and pre > Sansamp > Nemesis 2x10, other **************** I dont need or use

Code:
    _ ________
    | / () () \n | | |_
    | | |^^^^| | |
    |_| | | | |
    | ^^^^ | |
    ________/_|
    | || |
    ---- ----
    Swinging Beef and the Daptoids

Comment

My brother got me the Bass PODxt (the "bean" one, not the floorboard version), and it is definitely pretty slick.

If you don't need the guitar stuff, the Bass version probably is worth getting, since it already has the bass amps on it (which you'd have to pay $99 for with the regular PODxt), and also has bass effects that are unique to the Bass PODxt. I also had asked Line6 about it, and they mentioned that some of the other hardware features of the Bass PODxt are worth it, again if you don't need to use it with a guitar too.

Also, I've read of some issues with the non-bass PODxt having some trouble with active basses.

Comment

THe best thing to have between your bass and yur amp would be a cable, mybe a tuner, and another cable.... just kidding.

I haven't messed with floorboard/modeling stuff, but I've heard a lot of good about POD, except my tech says that he sees way too much line 6 gear in his shop...
        Fender Acoustasonic Tele
        Gretsch 9220 Bobtail resonator
        Epi Les Paul Custom
        Garrison G-50-E
        1984 Martin Shenandoah
        Stiletto Studio5
        Upright bass w/pickup
        Yamaha RBX 260F Fretless 4
        Essex (SX) B-205
        And a cool old Kingston Bass that looks good on my wall....
        Aphex Punch Factor
        Jekyll & Hyde dual distortion
        Ibby Toneloc Digital Delay
        Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III *Red October limited run*

Comment

The Line 6 PodXT Live is the modeling multi to beat. You can get the guitar version (more effects) used and then buy the bass plug in from Line 6 and get two boards in one.
          There are two kinds of people in the world. Those with a zombie plan and those who are dinner.

Comment

Ok, thanks for the responses. Sounds like the Pod is what I'm looking for!
            "Fear: Won't keep you from dying but sure as hell keep you from living!"

How much wood could the wood slapper whack off jack if the wood jacker spank off could shaft wood?

GEAR

Gibson SG STD HC
            Marshall JVM 205H
            Clavia Nord Lead 2x
            Roland SH 101
            MacPro with Fireface 400 running Ableton Live 8
            Effects 'n pedals 'n whatnot
            Sometimes use of additional whatnot

Comment

The Line 6 PodXT Live is the modeling multi to beat. You can get the guitar version (more effects) used and then buy the bass plug in from Line 6 and get two boards in one.

Yes. The two things Line6 pointed out to me when I asked them about this (i.e. what's the difference between getting a PODxt Live and buying the bass expansion pack for it, or buying to the Bass PODxt Live), was that the bass expansion pack only includes the amps, not the effects, and that it lacks some hardware features, specifically the inputs/outputs (don't remember exactly, but I think it was this:

The MODEL connector gives you the fully processed Amp+Cab+Effects+Mic signal generated by Bass PODXT Live. The D.I. connector gives you an unprocessed time- and phase-aligned version of your signal.

Aside from that, I've read of people with the regular PODxt having clipping problems, especially with active basses.

But it really sounds like if you need something specifically for Bass, the Bass PODxt is the way to go; and if you really need to use the guitar stuff too, the PODxt + Bass Expansion pack will generally do the trick for the most part, with caveats.

Comment

The Korg AX-3000B beats the POD in all areas but models.
                Line6 is very good at modeling.

Now Korg effects sound much more musical, are more tweakable, you can use more at the same time and there are more kinds, including some completely new concepts.
                It's dead simple to use and thought with live use in mind. You can change all settings on the fly or configure it like a serie of individual pedals.
                1/3 solid knowledge, 1/3 common sense, 1/3 made-up bull****************
                Wanna try a different pace ? Parlez-vous français ?

Korg and Akai manuals

Comment

I love the Boss GT-6B. Effects are killer and the models are actually really nice as well.

Dan

Comment

The Korg AX-3000B beats the POD in all areas but models.
                    Line6 is very good at modeling.

Now Korg effects sound much more musical, are more tweakable, you can use more at the same time and there are more kinds, including some completely new concepts.
                    It's dead simple to use and thought with live use in mind. You can change all settings on the fly or configure it like a serie of individual pedals.

+1
                    I got the AX-3000B before they dropped the price to $200. It was worth every penny then. It's a freaking steel now!
                    Fireball

Comment

Working...
                    X