Who were the first bass players you really took notice of?

TN.Frank

• Members

I'm sure that I've heard a lot of great bass players in the many bands that I've listened to over the years. As of late two that's caught my eye are John Myung and Billy Sheehan but the ones that I took notice of back in my guitar days where I said "Wow, that bass sounds really cool." would probably be Geddy Lee of Rush first and Steve Harris of Iron Maiden second. Both played in a way that really made me listen to what they were doing rather then just seeing the bass as a background instrument. Who were some of the first bass players that you really took notice of?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

the session aces of the early 70s... Motown, Stax, etc. I've always been drawn to the bass and my folks always had the radio on playing Top 40, Disco, R&B, etc.

The kid that lived across the street loaned me Black Sabbath's Paranoid in 1978 (I was 10). From that point on I was a bassist (though I didn't actually start until 1980)

• Members

Eddie Jackson...then Geddy...

Eddie Jackson is one of my later "Wow" players. I'm even trying to kind of pattern myself after him because I really like his timing and the way he fills in a song. I know I'll never play like Billy Sheehan, way too old to even try to learn his style. I can copy some of Geddy Lee's simpler stuff and do a decent job with some of Steve Harris' stuff as well but Billy Sheehan just leaves me in awe when I hear him play.

• Members

For me it was Jamerson, as I lived in Detroit in the '60s and much of what I heard on the radio then was from Motown records.

Right on mang.

You can catch just a glimpse of James... and lots of old Detriot...and Eddie "Bongo" Brown.... and Earl Van Dyke.

• Members

Les

Flea

Tim

Cliff

(not necessarily in that order)

Totally agree.

Growing up in the 90's they were the guys who got my attention but then I began noticing the classic rockers... bass was just so integral in the Who, Zep, Cream... Can't play without listening to these guys!

Archived