Patch Cables?

guitargod0dmw

• Members

So what does everybody use for patch cables?

I plan on redoing my pedal board in the very near future. I was initially looking at George L's, but I'm not too sure about them. I like the idea of custom lengths...I want this thing clean looking. Then I was checking out Lava cables site...and I really like some of their stuff, but it's DAMN expensive! Right now I use Monster...and I've never had a problem with them, but they are limiting with the non-custom stuff...

• Members

I've always used cheap AXL cables that I got off of ebay.

They aren't noisy, so that's all that really matters. When it comes to patch cables, they are permenantly installed and do not move, so there's no advantage to paying extra money for cables that will sound identical.

Now, if you're the sort who carries his pedals loose in a bag and then lays everything out before each show, then higher dollar cables are probably in order for reliability.

• Members

Now, if you're the sort who carries his pedals loose in a bag and then lays everything out before each show, then higher dollar cables are probably in order for reliability.

Nope...they are attached to my board. I am building/buying a new one (haven't decided yet) so I want to redo the whole thing.

Does anybody like the George L's? I'm not really a fan of the connectors that Planet Waves uses...

• Members

+1 Another user her. Redid my whole board with them when not too long ago.

+2.

The cable kits are great. YOu get 10 plugs and 10 feet of wire. YOu can do any length, and also put the plugs at any angle to one another (which is a huge help when connecting different brands of pedals). They also sound very clear.

My only gripe with george L is I don't trust the connections in the long term, but this is a non issue on a pedal board where they aren't moving around. I periodically have had to tweak their connectors on my long cables though.

• Moderators

George L's. As far as long-term connections go, I've had a Guitar cable for 7 years that has been stepped on, pulled every which way but loose, and still is in perefect working order. Further, if a George L's does take a crap with a connection, you just snip a tiny bit off the end, and rescrew it, thus having a brand new connection. I have a pedal board done with the kit, too.

No I don't work for the company, nor do I have endorsement agreements with anyone, but I am available to take donations.:)

• Members

i tend towards the pw cable kit, the connectors are a bit bigger but you literally cannot pull the connector off it you try, nice and reliable. nothing against the george L's stuff either just a personal preference i guess after trying both

• Members

THe PW plgs have some tensioning on the barrels that makes sure they aren't going to come out without a good pull, I've seen G L's slide out. Both are grat kits, about the same amount of $$, so I guess it's up to which you like the looks of (I lke the thicker cable in the PW set)

• Members

So what does everybody use for patch cables?

I plan on redoing my pedal board in the very near future. I was initially looking at George L's, but I'm not too sure about them. I like the idea of custom lengths...I want this thing clean looking. Then I was checking out Lava cables site...and I really like some of their stuff, but it's DAMN expensive! Right now I use Monster...and I've never had a problem with them, but they are limiting with the non-custom stuff...

Stay away from Monster, or at least don't mix them with other brands - the monster plug shafts are slightly oversized, and loosen the jacks which makes them intermittent when used with other brands. Besides, they're horribly overpriced.

• Members

I use and like very much the planet waves....i am sure George L's would be cool too....the thing that i don't care for these types of products are that i switch my effects order, pedals and that matter around often enough that i have run into difficulties with some lengths that at one time were good but now don't work so well, i like also cable patch, instrument and speaker cable that i purchase from http://www.bayoucables.com/store/catalog/index.php

this is great stuff and i am in no way affiliated with the company or endorse i am just a satisfied customer.

• Members

George L's. As far as long-term connections go, I've had a Guitar cable for 7 years that has been stepped on, pulled every which way but loose, and still is in perefect working order. Further, if a George L's does take a crap with a connection, you just snip a tiny bit off the end, and rescrew it, thus having a brand new connection. I have a pedal board done with the kit, too.

No I don't work for the company, nor do I have endorsement agreements with anyone, but I am available to take donations.
:)

This is true. I guess of the one's I've got (about 15 patch cables, 3 long ones) the only troubles I've had were either on initial assembly and with a long one I was using with my strat (I had the longer strat plug, but it was still hard to get a grip on just the plug). And like you say, quick fix if they do go bad.

Archived