Best Flatwound Bass Strings?

G-Bass-Austin

• Members

Best Flatwounds for the buck is D'addario on the fretted bass IMHO

And Fender Tapewounds on the Fretless

there is definately more expensive but I dont see how they could be any better and I wouldnt be suprised that most of these strings were made by the same manufacturer and packaged under different brand names.

• Members

I have Fender steel flats on my Ibanez P (fretted). I got them because they were in stock and on sale 2 for $30 at GC. Otherwise, I was going to try Chromes. I like the smooth mellow deep sound, but I miss the greater sustain of rounds. The Fenders lost their initial brightness after a couple months. I could go for a bit more brightness and low mids.

• Members

I just put a set of Rotosound Jazz Bass 77's on my 50's P-Bass and they sound fairly bright. I don't have a lot of experience with flatwounds, so rounds are my only point of reference. Although I do like the way my P-Bass sounds with them, I would like to know how D'addario Chromes compare to them.

• Members

The TI flat wounds are a very low tension string. They're easy to play, relatively bright, and easier on the neck of your bass. I also like the old Fender flats, but they are just the opposite of what the TIs are. They're high tension, and when they get broken in nicely give a big fat bassy thud.

I also have a set of flats that I acquired somewhere that have a tan wrap on them. Anyone familiar with the brand?

• Members

I am switching from Rounds to Flats. Recommendation? Any agruments for what are the best flatwound strings on the market?

Depends on what you want and what you think is best.

I put some Fender nylon tapewound strings on my P and it sounds excellent. Love the strings.

Archived