Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Flatwound Bass Strings?

I am switching from Rounds to Flats. Recommendation? Any agruments for what are the best flatwound strings on the market?
    Fender USA Precision Bass
    Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
    GK 700RII w/GK NEO 115
    SANSAMP PBDDI Pedal
    MXR M80
    Big Muff

Why're you switching to flats?

If what you're after is longevity and gentleness on your fingers, try Elixirs.

Otherwise, I am pretty happy with the set of D'addario flats I use on my spare bass.
    Dingwall ABZ 5
    Pedals: GM modded BBE OptoStomp, TC Polytune, FEA Dual Band Distortion
    Markbass SD1200 -> LDS 15/6 fEarful

Comment

I am looking for a nice mellow smoothed out tone. I think the flats will accomplish that on my P Bass
      GK 700RII w/GK NEO 115
      SANSAMP PBDDI Pedal
      MXR M80
      Big Muff

Comment

Tapewounds belong on my new fretless, no? Interested in Forumite collective opinion. It'll be here Friday, which means I really want to hunt down strings tomorrow and get 'em ordered if I need to.
        The new blog is up and almost devoid of meaningful content! http://www.kenschuller.com/

Also, stay tuned for musicianswebhosting.com - turnkey Web site packages priced right for working bands - Web sites, HTML newsletters, Podcasting, blogs and more!

Comment

Once they're broken in I like La Bellas
          MIM Jazz 5 Deluxe (Fiesta!)
          SX Fretless 5

Because I'm a liberal, I support America and hate terrorism.

Member HCBF "DEATH TO FALSE METAL!" Club

Comment

Just had an idea for a new product...flatter than hell wounds. Somebody go lay a set of strings on the RR tracks and lemmie know how it turns out.

Comment

Just had an idea for a new product...flatter than hell wounds. Somebody go lay a set of strings on the RR tracks and lemmie know how it turns out.

I tried it, it screws up the intonation and pitch too much...
              GK 700RII w/GK NEO 115
              SANSAMP PBDDI Pedal
              MXR M80
              Big Muff

Comment

I heart D'Addario Chromes. Almost as bright as a roundwound
                we don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.
                -- anais nin

Comment

Best Flatwounds for the buck is D'addario on the fretted bass IMHO
                  And Fender Tapewounds on the Fretless

there is definately more expensive but I dont see how they could be any better and I wouldnt be suprised that most of these strings were made by the same manufacturer and packaged under different brand names.
                  Business OP plus cheap Domain and web hosting for your band, Check it out!
                  If You Always Do What You Have Always Done
                  You Will always Have What You Have Right Now.

Comment

Some one In Austin here recommended Thomastik. The reason I started this thread is because they seem really expensive. I was wondering if they are worth the price. Have any of you done any testing?
                    GK 700RII w/GK NEO 115
                    SANSAMP PBDDI Pedal
                    MXR M80
                    Big Muff

Comment

...T.I....
                      +Harmony deals: Wolfboy1, zygoat(2), jmgruber, NITEFLY182, DC_injecktilo, AngelofHop, LoneStarGuitar, Virex, Danne, cmog, SirJackdeFuzz, cdyrlund
                      +TGP deals: Platypus, TheWarmth, estringwalker, whoismarykelly, bluntage, nibus, jhx, LowWatt, Monkeyboy23, hipfan, chemical69, Ren5150, MotorCityMatamp, Last Nerve, Stevoreen, mrMix, Lintybits, DonneR, Ted Witcher, telecopter, Austin AL, David-R, Trotter, carltonh, onemind, Elliott DAmage, JoeC, IglooBass, LL1
                      No space for 10 +Talkbass deals, lol.

Comment

I tried it, it screws up the intonation and pitch too much...

No, no, no. I meant just lay the strings on the tracks, not the whole bass!

Comment

Some one In Austin here recommended Thomastik. The reason I started this thread is because they seem really expensive. I was wondering if they are worth the price. Have any of you done any testing?

way too expensive for me to even consider.
                          Business OP plus cheap Domain and web hosting for your band, Check it out!
                          If You Always Do What You Have Always Done
                          You Will always Have What You Have Right Now.

Comment

I have Fender steel flats on my Ibanez P (fretted). I got them because they were in stock and on sale 2 for $30 at GC. Otherwise, I was going to try Chromes. I like the smooth mellow deep sound, but I miss the greater sustain of rounds. The Fenders lost their initial brightness after a couple months. I could go for a bit more brightness and low mids.

Comment

Love the tone, hate the feel. Too floppy for me.
                              we don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.
                              -- anais nin

Comment

Working...
                              X