X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Flatwound Bass Strings?

I am switching from Rounds to Flats. Recommendation? Any agruments for what are the best flatwound strings on the market?
    <div class="signaturecontainer">Fender USA Precision Bass <br />
    Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass<br />
    GK 700RII w/GK NEO 115<br />
    SANSAMP PBDDI Pedal<br />
    MXR M80<br />
    Big Muff</div>

Why're you switching to flats?

If what you're after is longevity and gentleness on your fingers, try Elixirs.

Otherwise, I am pretty happy with the set of D'addario flats I use on my spare bass.
    <div class="signaturecontainer">Dingwall ABZ 5<br />
    Pedals: GM modded BBE OptoStomp, TC Polytune, FEA Dual Band Distortion<br />
    Markbass SD1200 -&gt; LDS 15/6 fEarful</div>

Comment

I am looking for a nice mellow smoothed out tone. I think the flats will accomplish that on my P Bass
      MXR M80<br />
      Big Muff</div>

Comment

Tapewounds belong on my new fretless, no? Interested in Forumite collective opinion. It'll be here Friday, which means I really want to hunt down strings tomorrow and get 'em ordered if I need to.
        <div class="signaturecontainer">The new blog is up and almost devoid of meaningful content! <a href="http://www.kenschuller.com/" target="_blank">http://www.kenschuller.com/</a><br />
        <br />
        Also, stay tuned for musicianswebhosting.com - turnkey Web site packages priced right for working bands - Web sites, HTML newsletters, Podcasting, blogs and more!</div>

Comment

Once they're broken in I like La Bellas
          <div class="signaturecontainer">MIM Jazz 5 Deluxe (Fiesta!)<br />
          SX Fretless 5<br />
          <br />
          Because I'm a liberal, I support America and hate terrorism.<br />
          <br />
          Member HCBF &quot;DEATH TO FALSE METAL!&quot; Club</div>

Comment

Just had an idea for a new product...flatter than hell wounds. Somebody go lay a set of strings on the RR tracks and lemmie know how it turns out.

Comment

I heart D'Addario Chromes. Almost as bright as a roundwound
              <div class="signaturecontainer"><i><font size="1"><font color="firebrick">we don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.</font><br />
              <font color="Black"> -- anais nin</font></font></i></div>

Comment

Just had an idea for a new product...flatter than hell wounds. Somebody go lay a set of strings on the RR tracks and lemmie know how it turns out.

I tried it, it screws up the intonation and pitch too much...:freak:
                MXR M80<br />
                Big Muff</div>

Comment

Best Flatwounds for the buck is D'addario on the fretted bass IMHO
                  And Fender Tapewounds on the Fretless

there is definately more expensive but I dont see how they could be any better and I wouldnt be suprised that most of these strings were made by the same manufacturer and packaged under different brand names.
                  <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.movie.ws/4stringaxeman" target="_blank"><font size="1">Business OP plus cheap Domain and web hosting for your band, Check it out! </font></a><br />
                  <b><font color="Blue"><font size="1">If You Always Do What You Have Always Done <br />
                  You Will always Have What You Have Right Now.</font></font></b></div>

Comment

Some one In Austin here recommended Thomastik. The reason I started this thread is because they seem really expensive. I was wondering if they are worth the price. Have any of you done any testing?
                    MXR M80<br />
                    Big Muff</div>

Comment

...T.I....
                      <div class="signaturecontainer"><font color="DarkRed"><b>+Harmony</b></font> deals: Wolfboy1, zygoat(2), jmgruber, NITEFLY182, DC_injecktilo, AngelofHop, LoneStarGuitar, Virex, Danne, cmog, SirJackdeFuzz, cdyrlund<br />
                      <font color="Indigo"><b>+TGP</b></font> deals: Platypus, TheWarmth, estringwalker, whoismarykelly, bluntage, nibus, jhx, LowWatt, Monkeyboy23, hipfan, chemical69, Ren5150, MotorCityMatamp, Last Nerve, Stevoreen, mrMix, Lintybits, DonneR, Ted Witcher, telecopter, Austin AL, David-R, Trotter, carltonh, onemind, Elliott DAmage, JoeC, IglooBass, LL1<br />
                      No space for 10 <font color="Navy"><b>+Talkbass</b></font> deals, lol.</div>

Comment

I tried it, it screws up the intonation and pitch too much...:freak:

No, no, no. I meant just lay the strings on the tracks, not the whole bass!

Comment

Some one In Austin here recommended Thomastik. The reason I started this thread is because they seem really expensive. I was wondering if they are worth the price. Have any of you done any testing?

way too expensive for me to even consider.
                          <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.movie.ws/4stringaxeman" target="_blank"><font size="1">Business OP plus cheap Domain and web hosting for your band, Check it out! </font></a><br />
                          <b><font color="Blue"><font size="1">If You Always Do What You Have Always Done <br />
                          You Will always Have What You Have Right Now.</font></font></b></div>

Comment

I have Fender steel flats on my Ibanez P (fretted). I got them because they were in stock and on sale 2 for $30 at GC. Otherwise, I was going to try Chromes. I like the smooth mellow deep sound, but I miss the greater sustain of rounds. The Fenders lost their initial brightness after a couple months. I could go for a bit more brightness and low mids.

Comment

Love the tone, hate the feel. Too floppy for me.
                              <div class="signaturecontainer"><i><font size="1"><font color="firebrick">we don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.</font><br />
                              <font color="Black"> -- anais nin</font></font></i></div>

Comment

Working...
                              X