Who really was the fastest gun in the west?

Perfessor

• Members

I think Bat was the real deal, though. Indian fighter, gunfighter, sheriff of Dodge City. The residents there gave him the nickname Bat because you didn't see him pull his gun until it was too late.

Where in the name of sweet merciful crap did you come up with that? The bat is not particularly known for its quick-draw abilities. It is generally accepted that he was named Bat for his propensity to use his cane (which he required due to a pelvic gunshot wound early in his law career) as a baton. Unfortunately, no one would really fear "Baton" Masterson or "Old Caney" Masterson. He rarely actually used his gun.

In all reality, gunfights in the old west were pretty rare. In addition, speed wasn't the big factor, especially given the notorious inaccuracy of revolvers of the day. A fighter's ability to actually HIT someone was the big factor.

• Members

Where in the name of sweet merciful crap did you come up with that? The bat is not particularly known for its quick-draw abilities. It is generally accepted that he was named Bat for his propensity to use his cane (which he required due to a pelvic gunshot wound early in his law career) as a baton. Unfortunately, no one would really fear "Baton" Masterson or "Old Caney" Masterson. He rarely actually used his gun.

In all reality, gunfights in the old west were pretty rare. In addition, speed wasn't the big factor, especially given the notorious inaccuracy of revolvers of the day. A fighter's ability to actually HIT someone was the big factor.

As Wyatt Earp is famously said to have said: "Speed is fine; accuracy is final." :cool:

• Members

It is a sad state of affairs that this movie could not be made in this day and age.

Oh, come on now, the movie could be made. It's just that everyone involved would then be harassed, publically ridiculed, and then fired! :wave:

• Members

I think it was Bat Masterson because he chased Doc Holliday out of Dodge and Doc killed Johnny Ringo.

most historians believe Ringo killed himself. There is also no evidence that he was ever engaged in a "stand up" gunfight.

I do agree, based on many readings though, that Bat was one of the "baddest".

• Members

I have to agree that fast is only relevant if the shooter can hit his target. Done lots of reading about Wyatt Earp and he repeatedly said that the deadliest shooters were the guys who took their time and aimed accurately. That person was seldom the guy who drew his pistol and fired the quickest.

History, or myth, claims that Wild Bill shot a man between the eyes at a distance of more than 75 yards. This done with a pistol after having consumed several drinks. If true I doubt that he could have repeated it. Pistols of that era were probably less accurate than those made today, and that would be a hell of a shot with open sights today. I've also read some articles written about Annie Oakley by some pretty knowledgable folks. Most of them agree that she had outstanding eyesight and that contributed to her shooting ability. I also read that in later years she used a .410 shotgun and not a rifle.

JR

• Members

http://www.famoustexans.com/johnwesleyhardin.htm

Don't know if he was fastest but he was the baddest. Of all the "gunmen" of the old West this is the ONLY one that gives me the shivvers. Wild Bill was also great. Fast isn't everything in a gun fight, first you have to be willing to kill someone, then you've got to be accurate. Hardin and Hickok were both willing and accurate.

• Members

He was the badest and never hesitated to pull the trigger. Killed 7 or so men and all but one had it coming (he accidently shot a friend who got in the way of a drunk shooting up a saloon).
:eek:

Actually, his Deputy didn't get in the way so much as he came up behind Bill. Bill wheeled around and shot before he was clear as to who the "target" was. That shooting shook Bill up a lot, I don't think he ever got over it.

• Members

History, or myth, claims that Wild Bill shot a man between the eyes at a distance of more than 75 yards.

JR

Actually, it was thru the heart and it's not a Myth, it's a historical fact. The shooting took place over a pocket watch that the guy won off of Bill in a Poker game. Bill told him not to have it out in public, the guy didn't listen so they squared off in the street(something rather rare, most gun fights didn't happen that way at all in the "Wild West". ) and Bill nailed him thru the heart with his .36 cal Colt Navy Revolver.

Archived