Fender P-Bass Special Potentiometer Replacement

bassmark

• Members

I have an '06 fender p-bass special and (like everybody told me) the pot for my gain control went bad. When I say went bad I mean it literally fell out when I was playing a show. I am not sure which potentiometer to replace it with, or where I can find the info for where to get it at. I ohmed it out but I am not sure if I can just get a less expensive one or if i have to get a "guitar" potentiometer. Does the fact that it is active have anything to do with the resistance of it. I can replace it myself so I was hoping to not have to take it in to an authorized dealer. Any pointers would be appreciated.

• Moderators

Okay, is it a 2006 Fender Deluxe Precision Bass Special? If so, it uses two 250KA pots as the two volume pots and a 250KA mini pot as a tone pot.

Go here:

http://www.allparts.com/categories.php?cat_id=548&cat_name=250K%20POTS

This is the volume pots:

EP_0085-000

250K Audio Pot, CTS, Split, Knurled Shaft With Nut, Lock & Dress Washer

Retail Price: $5.50

This is the tone pot:

EP_0185-000

250K Mini Pot, Audio Taper, Split, Knurled Shaft, With Nut & Washer

Retail Price: $2.00

• Members

Ok, it is a 250kohm pot for the gain, but it is a solid shaft, not a split. Also, i'm not sure for the correct wording on it but there is a two-in-one treble and bass knob, (treble on top, low end on the bottom). I wanted to just go ahead and replace all of them and try to avoid this problem in the future. So, that makes one volume, one pickup mixer whatever you wanna call it, one treble/bass two-in-one, and a gain knob. oh, and its a 2006, thanks by the way

• Moderators

Weird, Fender's website shows a different parts list.

You need a concentric 250KA pot for the stacked bass treble. Use this:

EP_4485-000

250K/250K Concentric Pot

Retail Price: $12.00

You need a blend pot. Use this:

EP_0385-000

Dual 250K Blend/Balance Audio Taper Pot, With Center Detent, With Hardware

Retail Price: $10.00

Don't worry about split shaft vs. solid shaft. For this application, it makes no difference.

Since I am looking at the wrong parts list (damn you Fender) make sure you measure the pots and replace them with the proper values. It is possible they are using 500K pots rather than 250K pots or a mix of the two. Just measure the resistance between the outer legs, ignore the wiper (the middle of the three lugs).

It is also possible they are using CTS pots. No need to replace them if they are already good, just make sure they are secure and soldered well. I know Fender doesn't use CTS in their Squire's, but I've seen plenty of MIMs that have really nice electronics.

• Moderators

My pleasure. Make sure you check out what the pots are measuring so you get the right replacements. Expect there to be as much as 20% tolerances on the pots, so if it measures between 200-300 k, it is likely a 250 k and if it measures between 400 and 600 k, it is likely a 500 k. It won't make a big difference. Allparts has all of the pots you should need, but if there is some specialty pot that you can't find, PM me and I'll find it for you. I know lots of places to look.

• 10 years later...
  • Members

Hi I Have a P Bass with a 100k concentric pot.....(Active Korean Made) Where can I get a 100K concentric Pot...I got one from a vendor but the Shank was too narrow...they advertised it for a Bass I didn't even think to check the diameter. Anyway No Body has a 100K anyone know where I can get one?????

42e84448294b353231e6bfd8d578196b.thumb.jpg.b4113b74b732091065b9f95c1dfab8b7.jpg

Archived