4x10 vs 1x15

MacBradley

• Members

Hello. I'm normally over in the guitar forums because I'm a guitar player. I hope I'm not too much of an outcast here. I promise I don't have a guitar player ego and I don't take 15 minute solos on 5 minute songs. So hi! :wave:

Anyway, in the band I'm starting up with some friends, my friend that has been playing guitar alot more than bass is going back to bass again. He doesn't have his old amp anymore, he got rid of it.

So right now were getting around to buying a bass amp, used. There are a couple of heads were looking at, a Hartke B4000 and an Ampeg B2R.

So I'm wondering, which head would be the better option, and if only getting one cabinent would a 4x10 or 1x15 be better?

Volume needs to be enough to compete with a loud drummer with only the vocals going through the practice PA we have. I play through a 50 watt Tweed Bassman for my guitar, and use pedals for dirt, and go easy on the low frequencies, so I shouldn't be a problem, just the loud drummer. I am a bit concerned about the Ampeg, it is 350 watts @ 4 ohms instead of 400 and reviews of it tend to say that it doesn't get very loud for 350 watts. Will it be enough for practices since gigs will be miced?

Also don't forget I don't know much about this bass gear stuff. I'm not really sure what it means when it says 350 watts @ 4ohms and only 250 @ 8 ohms.

Thanks for the help guys.

• Members

There are a few folks who like them, but I'd steer you clear of the b2r if at all possible. It's not very loud and really doesn't sound special. In that price range I'm sure there are other, better bass amps out there. I'm reluctant to recommend any particular heads since I don't really know what sound you're going for, but in that price range old solid state peavey heads and gallien kreuger heads pretty much smoke the b2r.

As far as 4x10 vs. 1x15, that's pretty much a matter of personal preference. I'd go with the 1x15, but most folks here would go for the 4x10, I think. Even then, it's a matter of which 4x10 or 1x15... just like guitar cabs they don't all sound the same.

The impedence question: Most bass cabs have an impedence of 8 ohms. If you run 2 cabs in parallel you end up with 4 ohms, so the output is louder because the solid state amp puts out more juice and puts it into 2 cabs. There are 4 ohm 4x10 cabs out there, but if your bass player purchased one he'd be limiting his ability to upgrade to a two cab configuration later.

• Members

The impedence question: Most bass cabs have an impedence of 8 ohms. If you run 2 cabs in parallel you end up with 4 ohms, so the output is louder because the solid state amp puts out more juice and puts it into 2 cabs. There are 4 ohm 4x10 cabs out there, but if your bass player purchased one he'd be limiting his ability to upgrade to a two cab configuration later.

This helps alot, thanks. Sounds like getting a 4 ohm cab would be bad long run.

And I kinda figured that different cabs will sound different due to different speakers. There are a few Genz-Benz cabs used locally, they are a 4x10 a 1x5 and another 4x10 with three air holes at the bottom. Couldn't tell you the model name right now, I'll look it up later I gotta go here in a minute.

What are the benefits typically associated with a 1x15 and 4x10 and the cons usually associated with them?

• Members

bt 4x10 and 1x15, then 4x10 will most likely give you more volume, but will probably cost more than the 1x15.

as someone already stated earlier, it depends a lot on the cab brand/model more than the size/number of drivers

• Members

Bigger speakers tend to produce warmer tones.

You can't expect bigger speakers to absolutely play lower frequencies than smaller speakers though. Plenty of 4x10s do well with a drop tuned 5 string type bass.

That said, my 2x15 can make some crisp, harsh distortion sounds if I dial my amp in right. Most cabs have a pretty wide range of sounds you can get out of then, they just lean in one direction or another due to the overall voicing of the cab.

• Members

There are too many variables besides just the speaker design. You can have two 4x10 cabs that sound completely different, just as you can have two 1x15 cabs that are like night and day. If you're looking at budget cabs, I've generally found that most cheapie 1x15s sound better than cheapie 4x10s. When you're looking at mid-level cabs and higher, that's not true at all.

What kind of Genz Benz cabs are available to you? They have a couple lines made for different price points. All are decent cabs.

Peavey makes a great 4x10 for very little money. They're fairly common used, so if you can find a 410TX or TVX or whatever I'd pick it up.

• Members

I have a Hartke B400

Which I recomend to anybody needing a good Bass head.

I dont know anything about the Ampeg so I could not give you a compairison

I know that Ampegs are popular because they make good, affordable and reliable Equipment; either choice would be a good decesion.

I would get a 4x10 which is more versitle than the 1X15

My 2 cents.

• Members

Nope, I guess I should have read the first post better.

Sorry.

No problem, he's looking for both a cab and a head, so I guess schroeder would be an option.

When you said "cranks out 1200 watts" I thought maybe schroeder had gone that route. It wouldn't surprise me, honestly.

I get the impression (since he's shopping around for hartke and ampeg b2r priced stuff) that schroeder may be a bit high end for him.

I don't know what the 2x12 goes for, but I've heard it gets really loud. Maybe that would be an option.

• Members

being heard over your drummer ? you mean he doesnt try to mix with the bands volume ? not good. 4x low suspension 10's are way better than a single 15 for rock n' roll for sure.

if you play droppped heavy stuff you may want 2x15's, and a horn crossover. dont expect that to provide the same backing fullness of the 4x10's durring a rock n' roll show.

• Members

No problem, he's looking for both a cab and a head, so I guess schroeder would be an option.

When you said "cranks out 1200 watts" I thought maybe schroeder had gone that route. It wouldn't surprise me, honestly.

I get the impression (since he's shopping around for hartke and ampeg b2r priced stuff) that schroeder may be a bit high end for him.

I don't know what the 2x12 goes for, but I've heard it gets really loud. Maybe that would be an option.

The 1212's are pretty damn crazy for the size. A 1212L will push 800 watts and weighs 42lbs., while a 1212R will push 1000 watts and weighs 54lbs. Plus you can get a Schroeder 1212 L or R for just under $800. Well, from me anyway.

• Members

• Moderators

4X10s vs 1x15 isn't really a fair fight - the 10s have much more area.

I'm with the 2X15 guys.

Area, by itself, means little. 15" usually have greater throw. Maximum output is determined by area x throw = total displacement, unless limited by power handling. 15"s generally have significantly higher throw than 10"s.

What 4x10"s usually do have is more magnet and more wire in the voice coil gap, often giving them more output at low power (higher sensitivity). With four drivers, they also usually will handle more power. Neither of those necessarily translates into higher maximum output, though.

Ultimately, it comes down to which 4x10 and which 1x15, as Chunky said.

• Members

So I'm wondering, which head would be the better option, and if only getting one cabinent would a 4x10 or 1x15 be better?

Volume needs to be enough to compete with a loud drummer with only the vocals going through the practice PA we have. I play through a 50 watt Tweed Bassman for my guitar, and use pedals for dirt, and go easy on the low frequencies, so I shouldn't be a problem, just the loud drummer. I am a bit concerned about the Ampeg, it is 350 watts @ 4 ohms instead of 400 and reviews of it tend to say that it doesn't get very loud for 350 watts. Will it be enough for practices since gigs will be miced?

Also don't forget I don't know much about this bass gear stuff. I'm not really sure what it means when it says 350 watts @ 4ohms and only 250 @ 8 ohms.

Thanks for the help guys.

To be heard with no problem over the drummer, your bass player can use either cab. The 1x15 or the 4x10 will be enough. Like someone said already, it depends what kind of sound you're after. I see in your post you also have a Marshall half stack. If you play with it in your band and you guys are really loud, then your bass player is in trouble. He'll need a good head and two cabs or a 8x10 cab at least. Telling you by personal experience. ;)

Archived