Does anyone take a Fender P Bass Jr. Serious?

thumper247

• Members

Tell him to upgrade you to a Mustang or Bronco bass.

The Jr. is only 28 inch or so plus it's discontinued the others i mentioned are 30 inch.

BTW: Welcome to the forum
:wave:

It's listed as 29 & 3/5" on the Musician's Friend page (also discontinued).

• Moderators

Anything can be used to make music and anything that is used to make music can be taken seriously. However, I do get your point and would say that I've never actually seen anyone play that bass. More importantly, you don't connect with that bass and it is much more important to connect with your instrument than it is to have something other people take seriously. If you don't take it seriously or don't connect with it, it'll just never be the right bass for you.

I also want to commend your husband on trying to do something really nice for you. Even if the outcome wasn't quite right, it sounds like he was thinking and trying to do something cool and meaningful. As long as you let him know you think he was really cool for trying to do something so nice, he would probably be pretty excited to help you find another bass with which you connect. If it were me, I would.

• Members

That is funny that you are arguing over the Mustange... because that is the other one that he was looking at for me. Unfortunately, it was sold. ( We live by Woodwinds Brasswinds.. now taken over by G. C. ) You see... he is a drummer and he is always trying to find me a new bass instead of buying himself new drums. We play together in different bands and I know he meant well. I just think it looks like a bass trying to be a guitar. It is difficult to find short scale... because that is what I perfer to play so he grabbed this one. Perhaps a little too hasty.

• Members

29 & 3/5"

Thats a typo for sure, plus i never seen a bass measured outside of the standard 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, or 1/16.
:freak:

You've never visited websites for overseas luthiers, then. Most folks actually measure in mm, not inches.

• Members

That is funny that you are arguing over the Mustange... because that is the other one that he was looking at for me. Unfortunately, it was sold. ( We live by Woodwinds Brasswinds.. now taken over by G. C. ) You see... he is a drummer and he is always trying to find me a new bass instead of buying himself new drums. We play together in different bands and I know he meant well. I just think it looks like a bass trying to be a guitar. It is difficult to find short scale... because that is what I perfer to play so he grabbed this one. Perhaps a little too hasty.

The Mustang is a pretty good short scale bass, IMHO.

• Members

You've never visited websites for overseas luthiers, then. Most folks actually measure in mm, not inches.

3/5ths of a milimeter? or even 3/5ths of a centimeter wouldn't be listed that way.

It be listed in tenths or hundreds which leads right back to milimeters...then that would be listed in tenths or hundreds or thousands...not no 3/5ths.

Unless of course the bass is liquid. :rolleyes:

• Members

I played one in a store when they first came out, I thought they'd be a great travel bass, something to take on a plane.. I'd rock one, just because it would be funny to see the bass smaller than the guitar! The sound was pretty f'in good, but they wanted the same $$ as for a MIM P-bass....No way I'd pay that kind of scratch for a kids sized axe...

• Moderators

3/5 = 6/10 = 0.60, which is about 0.59.

So assuming Guitar Trader is correct, the scale length is 28.59 inches (726.186 mm).

Not likely that Guitar Trader is correct, I think. A big deal is made out of the Jr being 10% downsized. Normal P scale is 34". 10% less is 34"-3.4"=30.6", or 30 3/5 inches. 28 3/5" ought to be far too small, at 84%. Even 29 3/5" is only 87%.

It's not a bad idea, though. 10% smaller in all dimensions should make it more than 25% lighter. Of course, it has to sound good.

• Members

Not likely that Guitar Trader is correct, I think. A big deal is made out of the Jr being 10% downsized. Normal P scale is 34". 10% less is 34"-3.4"=30.6", or 30 3/5 inches. 28 3/5" ought to be far too small, at 84%. Even 29 3/5" is only 87%.

It's not a bad idea, though. 10% smaller in all dimensions should make it more than 25% lighter. Of course, it has to sound good.

I was wondering about the 10% smaller spec and if that referred to just the body, or both the body and neck.

Archived