Why is one pickup louder than the other?

funkrockfreedomfighter

• Members

If it needed to be resoldered I would imagine no volume would be more symptomatic than lower volume. I got out the multimeter and cycled through a few resistance selections. I found a the neck to have a resistance of 2.82 and the bridge to have 2.24. Is this where the problem is? I can't see anything that needs to be wound but I imagine that is under the pickup covers.

• Members

The neck pickup normally has a higher (and deeper) signal because the amplitude of vibration of the strings is higher there for the root tone (fundamental). The neck pickup has a lower signal with more treble because the fundamental has smaller amplitude there, and the upper harmonics have a relatively higher amplitude (much shorter wavelength). This can be addressed either by winding a hotter pickup or positioning the bridge pickup closer to the strings (or both).

• Members

I'm pretty sure that would do the trick, but my bass would be less loud if I did that. Since there is a difference of resistance between the pickups, couldn't I just rewind the bridge so its resistance matches the other pickup?

What's the problem with it being less loud?

Unless you're already maxing out the input gain on any bit of gear you're using, then is that really a problem?

And if you increased the bridge pickup height, then it shouldn't be any quieter anyway, right?

• Moderators

I'm pretty sure that would do the trick, but my bass would be less loud if I did that. Since there is a difference of resistance between the pickups, couldn't I just rewind the bridge so its resistance matches the other pickup?

That's a lot of really involved and sensitive work for a simple issue. Adjusting the pickup heights is the answer for all but the most extreme situations.

• Members

What's the problem with it being less loud?

Unless you're already maxing out the input gain on any bit of gear you're using, then is that really a problem?

And if you increased the bridge pickup height, then it shouldn't be any quieter anyway, right?

I thought the volume of your bass was directly proportional to the size of your penis?

Jokes aside, I'll just adjust the pickup height :)

• Members

Anyway it's not the neck pickup being hotter but the string moving larger over it than over the bridge pickup.

More movement = more energy = higher output.

A properly built PJ bass (ie not a Fender) will use a humbucker in J position to counterpart output issues.

Archived